Router recommendation

And that's what's wrong with the T* series.

My main router is a Fred 2000, which I really like. A large part of this is due to it having a well-thought out height adjuster. I don't have to mess with bolt-ons and it works over the whole plunge depth. Rather a contrast to the Elu 96 and all its derivations.

I just don't understand any router that doesn't have height adjustment as a core part of the design.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Apart from the colour, the CMT1850 is exactly the same as the DeWalt DW625EK - and no better or worse for that. I have the Dewally - it's a fine router. When buying, I also looked at the T9 (which I see in a later post you have actually bought) and the big Bosch. Would now add the newer bigger Bosch and the Triton to my list.

Reply to
Nick Pitfield

Damn straight!

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the need for tools to free tools (and other things) from the packing lately? Bloomin daft arrangement that seems! Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to arrange things in such a way that robust packaging does not, by default, also mean inpenetrable and land-fill hogging?

Never thought I'd see it this way, but I am starting to see where those slightly eccentric folks, who leave their packaging in the store at the time of purchase, are coming from!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Although one does wonder what "Pro" means in this context 8-)

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Actually I checked the user manual that came with the router ("manual" is a bit of a misnomer - a few sides of A5-sized instructions was all). It stated that the router could be used in light industrial settings, but wasn't considered to be suitable for heavy duty daily use. That described my use pretty accurately.

Except that these instructions should have said words to the effect "do not use this router - it is only intended to be an ornament for your workshop - if you intend to use it then forget it".

I dare say that there are people buying these routers who put them to one side for a period of time before using them, and find out too late to take it back for a refund. It is possibly the sort of thing that hubby adds to his list for a Christmas present from SWMBO. Fortunately I was within a month of acquisition as I had "upgraded" to that router for the specific job which caused me to doubt its capabilities.

Don't get me wrong about PPro - I've bought other tools in that range which I don't consider a bad buy, for the job in hand they were reasonable purchases. This router sucked big time though, and I'm not referring to its dust extraction facilities (which were pretty good for what it's worth ;)).

PoP

Reply to
PoP

The packaging I really, really hate is when an object is encapsulated in that thin plastic which is quite robust. A knife hardly dents it, scissors struggle, and if you aren't careful you try to rip it apart with your fingers and tear lumps out of your flesh with the very sharp edges.

Someone was saying about a safe on this forum yesterday. I reckon a cheaper option might be to sell a piece of kit which can wrap some of this hard plastic around your cash - then you can leave it on show knowing full well the thief won't be able to get at it without leaving some DNA behind..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

LOL! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Took a walk thru the local town centre this morning. Passing by one of those stack-em-high sell-em-cheap shops run by the local Indian or Pakastini community (no offence intended - the shop is absolutely fine

- they sell a lot of useful DIY tools at very good prices).

They had a section in the window showing power tools. Stopped to take a look, and there's the B&Q PPro router on display - for £34.99.

Different colour. And there's is labelled as 1200W - which is much closer to the torque I experienced with the B&Q jobbie (labelled at

2050W). But physically, absolutely identical in every way. Badged by Rolson:

router isn't shown on their web site, but it was definitely badged as Rolson.

That Rolson router wouldn't be a bad buy for £34.99 for a mid-range router. But not the £98.98 advertised by B&Q for a heavy duty router.

Beware!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

How do you know ? Those lookalike tools hide a huge variation on internal componentry. Take an AEG (the best), a Freud (adequate) and a Draper (crap) router apart sometime and compare the innards. Yet the external case is identical.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It seems that router designs get re-used / re-badged by all sorts - it can be rather difficult to say exactly who makes what. Many seem to be of chinese origin.

I noticed that Makro had a new range of tools badged under the brand "Budget". They would certainly seem to live upto the name on price (and probably quality as well - but I did not stop to study them!). The 1/4" router - design pretty much like NuTool etc. (i.e. mid sized rip off of the original Elu design) was 14.95 + VAT!

Reply to
John Rumm

Physically the same for sure. Things like the fence - identical. The dust extract - identical. Body shape - identical.

The £34.99 one had a 12mm collet. The B&Q variety was half inch. And so on.

Obviously the internals might be a tad different. But as I said previously, the B&Q version was most definitely not performing as a

2000W router should (I have several years experience of different routers).

PoP

Reply to
PoP

And that doesn't indicate why it was cheap? Seen any 12mm shank router bits around have you?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Gordon Bennett. What's happened to the folks round these parts? You try and help with possibly useful information and you get kicked in the ghoulies for your trouble.

Thank you for your helpful comment. I shan't bother next time.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Really 12mm or 12.7mm ? 8mm collets are bad enough, and I always threw 6mm cutters away, in case they ever got used by accident. 12mm sounds crazy enough that they might have made one, as a cutter tie-in, but it surely can't be a good idea to buy one.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh they're out there. [1] I have a router supplied with a 12mm & 1/2" collet plus inserts to reduce to

8, 6 & 1/4" Despite what may seem intuitive the metric inserts fit the 1/2" collet, rather than keeping the metric and imperial sizes paired. Does anybody sell a 12mm shanked bit in the UK? Not that I want one, quite happy with 1/2" [1] Was prefitted with the 12mm collet - cue swearing - until I noticed the 'spare' was 1/2" (12.7mm)
Reply to
Toby

Oh they're out there. [1] I have a router supplied with a 12mm & 1/2" collet plus inserts to reduce to

8, 6 & 1/4" Despite what may seem intuitive the metric inserts fit the 1/2" collet, rather than keeping the metric and imperial sizes paired. Does anybody sell a 12mm shanked bit in the UK? Not that I want one, quite happy with 1/2" [1] Was prefitted with the 12mm collet - cue swearing - until I noticed the 'spare' was 1/2" (12.7mm)
Reply to
Toby

I thought it was 12mm.

Anyway, how difficult would it be to get a half inch collet replacement I wonder? The B&Q machine had such a beast to fit into the same physical chuck.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I forget who, but there's a collet seller out there (Marcel posted the link here a while back) who has a magic list of nearly every machine and does something to fit.

The DeWalt machine with dust extract up one pillar is a nice machine, but the UK version is 1/4" only. When you fit the 1/2" collet (supplied as standard in the USA) it becomes a lot more useful.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, I have this machine (DW621K) and it's really good to use (excepting the plunge sticking problem that Gnube alerted me to...).

Lack of 1/2" collet in the UK market has always irked me - I'd much rather be building up a collection of 1/2" cutters. They reckon they can't get CE approval for the machine with a 1/2" collar here. However, seeing some of the low end routers with 1/2" collets I find that difficult to believe....

Trip to the States looms this month though - if I can get anywhere near a DW Service Centre I'll pick one up.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

See my other post on this, they told me they intended to fix it, and I got the impression this would be either by doing a retro cure or a recall, you'll need to get on to their tech to find out which. Mine was a model 615, and I'm sorry to hear you found the defect on your model too, I'd not realized you'd found it as well. Best of luck. Still miss mine for all that!