Rough idea how much to re-point ridge tiles ?

hi all, passing roofer (was doing a job down the road) collared me as I was driving to work today, and pointed out the cement which holds the topmost tiles which go over the point of the roof (IIRC he said "ridge tiles") was breaking away. As soon as he showed me, I could see he wasn't having me on. There are strips of cement that have fallen down the roof.

What's the implications - long term of this. Does it need fixing now, this month, before next winter ?

What surprised me was when I asked him how much he'd want to do the job, he said 80ukp, which struck me as very low - to remove and replace the cement ...

Anyway I was late for work, so I didn't get a chance to grill him, but wondered what the groups opinon is. I've got an "L"-shaped bungalow, and the two lines of tiles are about 20metres in total.

On the basis that I don't have a head for heights, looks like I'll have to get someone to do it.

I'm in the midlands btw

thanks in advance

Reply to
Jethro

Ha, Thats a days wages 'cash in hand' to knock up some mortar shove a ladder up and do teh job and scamper down..and spend the rest of the day in the pub having seceral pints before going home to beat up/have boozy sex with the missus.

Manna from heaven for your roofer.

OTOH getting someone in to quote, may end up costing you more. Its less the job than the quotation process..

I'd take him up on it..its not urgent unless you get a tornado..but it should be done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not urgent unless the roof starts to leak or the tiles start slipping down. 80 notes is a bargain, especially if he does a good job and uses a strong mortar mix.

Reply to
DIY

He did say he thought the mortar was too sandy from looking at it (what do I know) ...

Reply to
Jethro

IMHO that's the last thing in the world you want as there will inevitably be movement between ridge tile and roof. A decent mastic or even perhaps a lime mortar will be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aha dissent !

Is there a mastic suitable ? I presume you'd need a ****-load to do the while ridge ?

Reply to
Jethro

20% pva in the mortar should prevent cracking.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

The next high wind could blow bits / whole ridge tiles off. They might do some damage at ground level, you know about it now so you would be liable for damage caused because it would be negligence.You'd also then have all the fun and enjoyment of finding a (preferably) identical replacement. It might be easy, it might not.

I think they need to be re-bedded in not just pointed up, which is likely what he'll do if you're not there supervising.

I recall that when I had a couple of cowboys who knocked on the door do the job in 2 hours I got more trouble within 3 years or so. When a proper builder (who had built extensions for us) did it, it's still ok after 15 years.

Does he have all the proper insurance coverage, and use the correct safety equipment? What if he drops his club hammer off the roof and it does some damage at ground level ?

HTH

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

One thing to watch out for is that he doesn't just 'butter' the joint by spreading a thin layer over the existing mortar, which is a trick some 'roofers' do. My neighbour got caught out like this by a roofer who was working "in the next street and I can see...." Another thing he did was paint a thick slurry on the tile edges instead of knocking out and doing it properly. The job looked great until the next winter then all the butter fell off and the slurry got washed away!

HTH

John

Reply to
John