Rosate 360 TF - will it still work

In my sprayer I have some diluted Rosate 360 TF according to instructions, left over from last year. Will it still work this year please, or do I need to make up a fresh batch?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It's basically glyphosate, so should be OK. But you've nothing to lose apart from the time spent re-spraying with fresh if the old stuff doesn't work.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg explained :

Ta!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I had a sprayer half-full of diluted glyphosate that had been sitting over winter, I also wondered if the active ingredients might have degenerated, sprayed the weeds on Monday and they're looking very dead already.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thinking about it, the ready to use trigger sprays of Roundup will will sit on the shelf for many months at a similar dilution ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup. I've just finished off one such which must be at least a couple of years old and it still worked. A bit slow, but that was in a cold snap when nothing was growing much.

Reply to
newshound

Is that "glyphosate" the active ingredient or glyphosate the brand? The two are sadly no longer the same :(

Proper glyphosate kills green plants by screwing up a key part of their photosynthetic pathway and they turn a characteristic orangy yellow after 1 to 2 weeks from application. Stone dead at three weeks. I don't normally expect to see proper glyphosate at standard dilution take effect within the first week. Sometimes I use it more dilute to allow time for translocation into weeds with extensive roots like ground elder.

Unfortunately there are now branded "glyphosate" products on offer with all sorts of other active ingredients in to make them faster acting for the consumer market.

I suspect it will lose some activity when stored diluted in oxygenated water but it is more the pesticides and fungicides that degrade rapidly by hydrolysis that need to be used immediately after dilution.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I always thought glyphosate was the chemical name and RoundUp the original brand name containing it? Mine is Gallup Hi-Activ 490g/l

Though I'm aware they now sell "vegan friendly" RoundUp possibly with salt and/or vinegar as the active ingredients?

So I can see how you get non-glyphosate RoundUp, but how can you have non-glyphosate glyphosate?

I was quite surprised how quickly it acted, especially when I was thinking it might have reduced effect due to age, though it was very sunny after applying so take-up would be good, it varies per weed type, the dandelions and docks are all shrivelled and going crispy, some of the grasses, chickweed and the nettles are merely a bit yellow.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Seems that "Roundup CA" is the acetic acid version and "Roundup NL" is a version using pelatgonic acid, are there any others?

Reply to
Andy Burns