Road signs

That's not allowed, is it? Surely it's dangerous to something?

Reply to
Clot

Which by implication says that the maximum safe speed may actually be higher than the posted speed limit and therefore shows that speed limits are an imperfect system. As all drivers are not equal, I can not however suggest any better system, but I would advocate a widespread resetting of speed limits at what are generally considered reasonable levels, rather than politically driven, artificially low levels. It would be perfectly reasonable to also lower limits where genuine reason exists. I'm sure that we could all agree that we know roads with ridiculously inappropriate limits (both above and below), but society as a whole tends to concentrate too much on trying to remove risks rather than reducing unreasonable risks.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There are 16 miles of roadwork in place on some of the motorway you mention. SPECS cameras are in place.

I find it unlikely that will ever need to use the M6 Toll. I would probably need to move in order to use it.

I do believe the M42 has suffered because of M6 toll.

Some work is happening at the moment to help the traffic flow on the M42 west bound near the M6.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I know only too well!

It does have its virtues as the Birmingham Bypass. Avoiding the M6/M5 interchange at any time on a Friday afternoon is to be appreciated.

Yes, I think to correct problems that were caused by not playing enough with their Dinky toys at the design stage in my view.

Reply to
Clot

If you need to speed to put distance between us then you didn't need to overtake in the first place. In any case I would have slowed down to put a safe distance between me and the fool in front.

Reply to
dennis

It doesn't take any skill to drive too fast. There are plenty of fools doing it all the time.

Reply to
dennis

They don't overtake me.

Its been 8 years since I had to rush an accident victim to hospital.

I never accelerate when people are overtaking.

Buy a better car.

It includes speed and obeying the law. I expect you go through red lights frequently as the amber is linked to the speed limit and you can't stop fast enough so you accelerate instead.

Reply to
dennis

Maybe because it indicates the end of the restriction?

Reply to
dennis

No it doesn't. Speed limits are not just about safe limits. There are other reasons for them, like reducing noise.

Reply to
dennis

Priceless! He's excelled himself.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You might have.

Ihave seen many cases wher I've overtaken a 45mph-everywhere driver on a

60mph road only to have them floor it *as* I overtake them. It seems to injure their pride or something.

They also tailgate me when I slow to 30mph through narrow villages, because they only understand 45mph.

Reply to
PCPaul

Just where do you get this idea from. I live in a triange formed by 3 motorways and they have certainly not slowed the traffic down for my audiable benefit.

If a member of guvmint lives at the side of a noisy road, they get quiet tarmac laid on it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My apologies for going so slow on a major road.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why the quick death?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Is that because you never see eye to eye with other posters on this ng?

When you reach the age of 60 and you have to go out of your area, you can get a private ambulance in the form of a voluteer car driver, to take you. I did this about 5 times from Preston to Manchester eye hospital.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I drive on country lanes to get to my real ale pub and a couple of weeks ago I came across one of these lycra louts going in the same diriection as me. The lanes are only just wide enough to allow 2 cars to pass each other, but very bendy and the cyclist was taking up 2/3 of the road. I passed him and quickly pulled back to the left of the road only ro hear him call me a car hog. I wish, now, that I had stopped and given him some advice.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But the lycra louts are squidgy, though they do wash off quite easily.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What makes you think that the M25 variable speed limit works any better that the M42 one does? Both are very dubious in their working. I went through the M42 twice last weekend and didn't see any need to limit the traffice to 60 MPH both times.

I know and understand the theory of variable speed limits, but the M6 in Staffordshire doesn't. If the toll road had started in Staffordshire, I could understand and use it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like: