'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

I used to religiously buy the Haynes manual every time I had a car change.

This time I've found where to download a cheap very comprehensive workshop manual straight from the car manufacturers (VAG)

It's solid detailed bedtime reading, Haynes have lost a customer :-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

The writing was on the wall when they chose to use their "brand" to flog the sort of tat you find in museum gift shops. Yes, an Apollo 11 Haynes manual may be an ideal gift. But it doesn't really keep the core going.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've got a Vauxhall HC series Haynes manual should anyone want to make an offer.

Reply to
AnthonyL

How often could you take a tyre to be repaired rather than replaced. I don't know. Why do people buy new tyres ?

It also depends on the product I guess. I doubt many would want a mobile phone the size of the 1980s models.

I have a 12 year old washing machine it sort of works but can take 12 hours to do a cycle, but sometimes just the usual time, they don;t make spare parts for it anymore.

My fridge freezer is 10 years old and not very efficint electricity wise. I doubyt it's worth replacing the motor and the rubber door seals and sanding down the rusting edges of the door and redoing and then theirs the broken egg tray.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That is your choice you aren't forced to do any of the above. It just becomes easier and cheaper over time to buy new rather than repair. It's also more practical to just replace or upgrade.

Yes all those cars, buses, lorries, trains shame people didn't stick to their penny farthing bikes isn't it.

Who will ? They won't unless you claim to be authorised.

There's plenty of phone shops that say they can fix your computer PC or Mac. They haven't been closed down.

No.

Well yes infinging a patent is I believe against the law.

Not prevented at all. You can buy an SMD soldering stations with microscope we have a couple here.

How about meghan ;-)

People mostly have that right.

There comes a time when it just isn't possible or practical.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Don't think it's a question of commercial use, it's a question of whether it has expired or not. In addition, if you did infringe a patent, that's a civil matter; the plod don't get involved. It's up to you, the patent holder, to defend your patent in court, by suing the buggers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oddly, one of the few Haynes books I find good is their one on car electrics. Obviously generic and aimed at Lucas equipped cars, but does contain a lot you'll not find easily elsewhere. But really for cars before the days of everything being computer controlled.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

There's a board/component level repair tradeoff.

If it's a washing machine and the board is simple, it might only cost £50. Not worth doing component level fault diagnosis when you could just swap it out.

If it's a laptop and they soldered the CPU, the RAM and the SSD to the motherboard, the board might be £2000 to replace. That's a very strong motivation to go in at component level, especially if the fix is something at the simpler end of things (dead charging chips and similar).

In both cases, if the manufacturer refuses to supply parts (that charging chip is often custom, in the case of Apple) all you're left with is getting one from scrap. And then you might find you can't pair it because they fitted DRM, even though there was no actual reason to need to pair it in the first place.

While certain brands are notorious for this, it's only a matter of time before their competitors jump on the same bandwagon. Hence needing laws to prevent this behaviour.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I don't really want to defend Apple, but we have a problem here that none of our legislators will understand.

Company X spends millions of dollars developing some software. That software is unique to their devices, gives them a sales advantage, and so it's worth them continuing to spend all that money.

Company Y comes along and makes a device that runs the same software. They aren't spending anything on software development, so their devices are much cheaper.

We then have two scenarios: X goes bust X prevents their software from running on Y's devices.

Your challenge is to find a way to allow a repaired device, which may have had the HW containing the serial number replaced, to run the software, but not allow Company Y's devices to run it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There are ways to make this a non issue though. Firstly their hardware design is still their intellectual property, so they can take legal action against other makers cloning it.

Secondly, if they are single source custom chips, then they just make them available as spares at a price that is not compatible with someone building a whole phone/laptop/whatever. These things are very sensitive to the bill of materials (although one could argue that apple has more to worry about since they work on higher profit margins)

So a power management controller that costs apple 25c, they could sell as a spare for $50, and it would still be economically viable as a repair part, but not in the BoM for a whole phone build. (much as building a car from parts would cost way more than the car bought outright)

Reply to
John Rumm

....unless you were to do it one piece at a time:

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

In article <s2dccs$jfd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@harrym1byt.plus.com.invalid> writes

The publishers were taken to court for breach of copyright by the manufacturers many year ago. As a result they were compelled to show by way of photograph in the manual that they had actually owned an example of the model and had gained their knowledge by striping it down rather than just copying the manufacturers Workshop Manual.

Reply to
bert