retiling shower enclosure

We are having to re-tile one side of our corner shower enclosure, with the original tiles.
Has anyone any advice other than try and get as much of the old adhesive off as possible ?
any tips gratefully received !
Just done that - retiled both sides.
Remove tiles using hammer and chisel etc trying to cause as little damage to the wall as possible. Then use a standard wallpaper steam stripper, and the adhesive will come off the wall in no time or effort, and without causing any damage to the wall.

walter wrote:

For god's sake tile under the Shower unit if it is electric.
I've just had to replace ours, and had to match up 12 year old tiles to cover the hole under the old unit. Thankfully there was a tile warehouse with some old stock they managed to dredge up, and let me have 2 for free.
Got home and found that I needed 4 to cover the hole in the tiles, so I carefully removed a half tile, replaced with a full tile and used the 2 quarters to complete the job.
A lot of faffing around, but the result is good.
Paul.
walter wrote:

Put the tiles in a bucket of water, leave for a day or so and the adhesive will just peel off with a wall paper scraper. This has always worked for me, but maybe my tiles fell off in the bathroom, kitchen and em suite because the builders did not use a good quality waterproof adhesive like they should. Leave tiles to dry for a few days and you are ready to go.
To get old adhesive of the wall I used my SDS drill with a 3 inch chisel - This type of method suits me. Is it 'safe' - depends upon how good your plaster is I suppose.

cheers boys - tiles off to soak as I type
soaking the tiles has done the job.
Now, having removed the shower enclosure, is there any solvent to help getting generations of congealed bathroom sealant off the bottom of it, or is it pick and scrape, pick and scrape....

There are solvents for silicone sealer. Remove as much as you can mechanically and apply - leave for about a day and wash off.
--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *