Restoring garage floor

The floor of my recently inherited garage is in a bad way. The surface is disintegrating, liberating dust and aggregate, and leaving large but shallow depressions. The proper remedy would be to dig it up and re-lay it from scratch, but that's not going to happen. The alternatives that I envisage are a wash of dilute PVA, which doesn't strike me as being very substantial and probably not very effective or long term, or a layer of levelling compound, possibly after a preliminary treatment with PVA.
Thoughts and alternatives please.
--

Chris

On 29/03/2017 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

Quite by chance, when we had our kitchen redone, I took up the old 'cushion' flooring and put it in the garage. The idea was to show the chap laying the replacement the shape to help him cut out the new stuff etc (the new layout was much the same).
While the garage floor wasn't in bad condition, like all concrete floors, it is dusty etc. The cushion floor doesn't cover it all but more than enough to be worth while (its is a double garage and the kitchen isn't small).
Oil etc just 'wipes up', much less dust when cleaning etc. No trouble with slipping etc.
I'd not suggest buying new cushion floor but, if you can get some that is being disposed of, it is worth considering.

Brian Reay wrote:

Or carpet - sections often come up on Freecycle etc when people are relaying rooms and it works rather nicely underfoot.
--
Scott

On 29/03/17 18:35, Scott M wrote:

I don't drive a car on to it, but old office carpet floor tiles work very well in mine, in preserving the floor.
--
Adrian C

Yeah, quite a few of the garage sales have it in their garage.

I always cycle old carpet out via the garage/workshop. When it becomes too soiled I throw it away. Much nicer to stand on than bare concrete.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 15th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 29/03/2017 22:56, Huge wrote:

Indeed, I have a strip of carpet across the back, in front of the workbench.
Avoid areas where rain from a wet car etc may drip on it or it can get oil dripped on it when doing servicing etc.

On 29/03/2017 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

I would sweep up the loose stuff, give a good going over with SBR, then lay self levelling on it (patching any deep holes with a SBR mortar mix if needs be first)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 29/03/17 19:19, John Rumm wrote:

+1
On 29/03/17 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

I painted one once. Thats stabilized it.
PVA is good too.
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

PVA is less good for a damp floor.
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 20:15:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

When I built a shed from scracth about 8 years ago the floor was 18mm WBP. I painted it with a water-based(!) B&Q fence gloop of a horrible colour (too lurid to be used outside). It's a bit worn arount the doorway but OK. After re-roofing the brick shed last year I used the same stuff on the sound concrete floor and so far it's OK and there's no dust. Obviously no good for poor concrete.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Chris

On 30/03/2017 22:29, Chris Hogg wrote:

Please report back, I've got a similar job to do later this year.
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:04:47 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Don't hold your breath! There's lots to do before the garage floor. It's low down on the list, but I like to get an idea as to what I intend to do, well in advance.
--

Chris

On 31/03/2017 07:57, Chris Hogg wrote:

Having looked in a bit more detail this one looks like it's beyond resuscitation and will need breaking out completely and a new floor laying :-( Can anyone suggest a hard-wearing screed that will tolerate being used as a workshop floor, preferably without needing painting to prevent dust?
On Sunday, 2 April 2017 19:31:53 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Maybe you're right, but... I can't help remember one wall that was disinteg rating, stuff fell off every time it was touched. Plenty of very dilute pva later it was solid enough to refinish and serve many more years. Then ther e was another wall where the plaster had crazed into pieces, many of which were wobbling slightly. Pour dilute pva down the back of the plaster pieces and it all became a solid finish again. What have you got to lose trying s ome dilute SBR?

Concrete dusts, its the nature of the thing. Epoxy is the ultimate concrete finish. A soaking in SBR could certainly help.
NT