Restoring garage floor

The floor of my recently inherited garage is in a bad way. The surface is disintegrating, liberating dust and aggregate, and leaving large but shallow depressions. The proper remedy would be to dig it up and re-lay it from scratch, but that's not going to happen. The alternatives that I envisage are a wash of dilute PVA, which doesn't strike me as being very substantial and probably not very effective or long term, or a layer of levelling compound, possibly after a preliminary treatment with PVA.

Thoughts and alternatives please.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Quite by chance, when we had our kitchen redone, I took up the old 'cushion' flooring and put it in the garage. The idea was to show the chap laying the replacement the shape to help him cut out the new stuff etc (the new layout was much the same).

While the garage floor wasn't in bad condition, like all concrete floors, it is dusty etc. The cushion floor doesn't cover it all but more than enough to be worth while (its is a double garage and the kitchen isn't small).

Oil etc just 'wipes up', much less dust when cleaning etc. No trouble with slipping etc.

I'd not suggest buying new cushion floor but, if you can get some that is being disposed of, it is worth considering.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Or carpet - sections often come up on Freecycle etc when people are relaying rooms and it works rather nicely underfoot.

Reply to
Scott M

I don't drive a car on to it, but old office carpet floor tiles work very well in mine, in preserving the floor.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I would sweep up the loose stuff, give a good going over with SBR, then lay self levelling on it (patching any deep holes with a SBR mortar mix if needs be first)

Reply to
John Rumm

I painted one once. Thats stabilized it.

PVA is good too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
Tim Watts

PVA is less good for a damp floor.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I always cycle old carpet out via the garage/workshop. When it becomes too soiled I throw it away. Much nicer to stand on than bare concrete.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed, I have a strip of carpet across the back, in front of the workbench.

Avoid areas where rain from a wet car etc may drip on it or it can get oil dripped on it when doing servicing etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

When I built a shed from scracth about 8 years ago the floor was 18mm WBP. I painted it with a water-based(!) B&Q fence gloop of a horrible colour (too lurid to be used outside). It's a bit worn arount the doorway but OK. After re-roofing the brick shed last year I used the same stuff on the sound concrete floor and so far it's OK and there's no dust. Obviously no good for poor concrete.

Reply to
PeterC

Many thanks for the suggestions. SBR followed by self-levelling compound looks the way to go, and not too physically taxing either!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Please report back, I've got a similar job to do later this year.

Reply to
nospam

Don't hold your breath! There's lots to do before the garage floor. It's low down on the list, but I like to get an idea as to what I intend to do, well in advance.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Having looked in a bit more detail this one looks like it's beyond resuscitation and will need breaking out completely and a new floor laying :-( Can anyone suggest a hard-wearing screed that will tolerate being used as a workshop floor, preferably without needing painting to prevent dust?

Reply to
nospam

Maybe you're right, but... I can't help remember one wall that was disinteg rating, stuff fell off every time it was touched. Plenty of very dilute pva later it was solid enough to refinish and serve many more years. Then ther e was another wall where the plaster had crazed into pieces, many of which were wobbling slightly. Pour dilute pva down the back of the plaster pieces and it all became a solid finish again. What have you got to lose trying s ome dilute SBR?

Concrete dusts, its the nature of the thing. Epoxy is the ultimate concrete finish. A soaking in SBR could certainly help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr