Rescuing gardening gloves.

I have some cheap fabric and leather gardening gloves (Verve brand from Morrisons) that got wet and now the leather has set so hard they’re unwearable.

Is there any simple treatment that will restore pliability?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think that any 'leather restorer' should do the job

Car leather restores at Halfords

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Olive oil?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On 02 Feb 2024, The Natural Philosopher wrote

I wonder how much the "cheap fabric and leather gardening gloves" cost in the first place? Is it cost effective to buy a leather-restoring product instead of just buying another pair of cheap gloves?

Reply to
HVS

They weren’t much more than £5 a pair so it’s not worth spending money on treatment products. Looking for something that I have to hand.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Bit too greasy. Isn't it lanolin you need?

The Natural Philosopher

Well it depends on how you use the gloves. Mine are ripped to shreds every year and I get a new set, but I have thorny problems :-)

if your on lighter duties, a pot of conditioner will last for years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hand cream?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Wet them, put them on when soft, rub them with soap, castile soap if you have it. Work up a thick lather and work it into the leather.

Do not rinse, let dry. (That is, use castile instead of saddle soap.)

Knead until soft & pliable once dry, perhaps starting before the leather is bone-dry.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Not just hand cream :-)

Andrew

He could buy two pairs of gloves for the same money.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I actually have a tub of udder cream (bought to treat my runner’s feet). I shall experiment with it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Fabric Conditioner? It shouldn't take much.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

What about Savlon, or KY Jelly?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Dubbin!

It's what I use on my gardening gloves. Apply fairly thickly in the first instance. Keeps them soft and pliable. Use it on my walking boots as well.

or

Chris Hogg