reproducing plaster feature

I have a feature on an external corner in my house. The corner is square at the top and bottom where the skirting and picture rail run, but the middle section is rounded off. Originally, they would chip the brick corners off and do this all by hand with inch-thick plaster etc. Not sure if they used some kind of former under the plaster.

Now, I am building a new toilet room that will have an external corner opposite, and I would like to reproduce this feature. But the new wall will be a stud wall to be plasterboarded and skimmed.

How can I reproduce this corner shape such that the plasterer I get in to do a skim can cover it and reproduce the original effect ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Maybe something like CATNIC mesh lath

around a quadrant length of timber of appropriate radius

Reply to
Vortex7

I have exactly this on the 'dog leg' in my hallway. It (on this Victorian house) is a separate moulding presumably bought in - rather like the cornice. It's a different colour to the rest of the plaster. I usually have to do some filling between them at decorating time. It's a b***er to paper. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, well I've never repapered that section so it could be the same. It seems very hard if you tap it, with quite a sharp corner. Any idea what such a moulding would be called ? Looking at the papering on mine, I can only say it must have been done by a genious. Clever usage of stretching and tearing I think. Looks like it was sprayed on ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Corners generally are: protruding corners in plaster alone are too susceptible to impact damage. This is also why corners in corridors and other high-traffic areas have these rounded corners, rather than square.

They're easy to plaster. Wooden broomhandles or smaller dowels are the traditional former, nowadays it's a steel mesh former from a builder's merchant. Papering is a little complicated, but it has been discussed here in the past.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think your plasterer will prefer to do it himself with flexible plasterboard:

from good builders' merchants.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'm not too sure that go down to the radius required.

Reply to
1501

Oh FFs sipply plane the corner off the plasterboard, scrim it and use a shaped plastering tool to form the curve.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Crumbles when you carry something past it and clout the corner.

Reply to
Andy Dingley