replacing radiators - funny size?

Hi there, please excuse me but I am still fairly new to this.

I need to replace 2 of the radiators in the house, as the idiot who owned the house previous spray painted them green and they look awful.

I would think from the age of the house that they are around 15 years old.

the actual measurements of the radiator are 74cm (along the longest point) and 76.5 between the ends where they screw into the pipes.

I can only see 70cm radiators around, and are now concerned that I have a problem!

can anyone offer any advice? Is this a substandard size?

Kind regards

Jon

Reply to
Jon

You could of course buy some radiator enamel spray and repaint them, which may be a simpler option?

I think I'm also correct in saying that you could just use ordinary gloss to overpaint them with (perhaps someone else here could confirm or correct this point?).

Reply to
Dark Angel

I've used 'ordinary' gloss on one or two radiators - seems to work OK (after the 'paint' smell cooks off). Also - screwfix (used) to do telescoping extension pipes which allowed you to fit a narrower radiator in the space previously occupied by a wider rad. Just had a quick look, but can't seem to see them...... maybe somebody else knows what to search for ?

Hope this helps Adrian Suffolk UK

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

==================== This, I think

this

Cicero

got them - but (happily) I've been proved wrong and they've been watertight for the last 3 years.....

Saved lifting the carpet, fiddling with the pipework, drilling new holes in the chipboard floor and lots of associated grief ! Nice !

Adrian Suffolk UK ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Are you including the size of the tails in the "along the longest point" ? remember the bits sticking out of the radiator which screw into the valves are not included in the width. You will be needing new tails aswell.

You should get 700mm radiators and if they are too short use a Wickes extending tail whcih are variable up to an extra 40mm.

mad

Reply to
madmax

Let screwfix #15531 & #17552 be your friends.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many thanks to all - the earlier poster was indeed correct, I took one of them to the local plumbers merchants and it is a Myson, they are not cheap but are the same size. Many thanks to all, I have learnt something here.

Reply to
Jon