Replacing internal doors

If you've never used one before, get some instruction, preferably practical, and mind your fingers and bits.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I never think they do if you follow the lines of a traditional panelled door. The only difference is the "panel" isn't rebated and, with the right beading, it's an acceptable illusion. Factor in the instability of new doors and I'd say replacement is work for work's sake, or an excuse to buy new tools.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The message from Nigel Molesworth contains these words:

No.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Can I interest you in all these metal bottle-tops?

(for those who remember Flaners and Swann).

Reply to
Guy King

Yep, hollow doors have poor sound insulation.

Reply to
marble

I've been through 3 of them in the last 25 years. Best money I ever spent, apart from the day I planed to tops off my fingers about 20 years ago. Tip: do not try to plane a small bit of wood you are holding in your hand, the plane will snatch it and pull your fingers in.

I still don't have proper feeling or fingerprints.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

It does, thanks. Same method as for a hand plane. The grade 4 Woodwork O Level and a good woodwork teacher (Mr Cheeseman, from memory) still have their influence from all those years ago!

Goes well with the (half) telephone black Northumbrian spoke-shaver's coracle on the wall. ;-)

Not forgetting the fellow with a car reg number *** GNU ...

Reply to
John Cartmell

Shh! They'll be banned soon under anti-terrorism (everyone must have fingerprints) legislation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from John Cartmell contains these words:

But it'll never do for everyday.

Reply to
Guy King

Well it wouldn't, would it - being madly gay? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

How does a newsreader "showing threads" help to work out which message is being replied to, without having to examine the headers and the last reference? (which is a tiresome and unnecessary process, especially in a large thread) Are you assuming that the message being replied to occurs immediately preceding, in sequential order? Because it doesn't necessarily, if there are several replies, or if the posts are from different ISPs and one hasn't arrived yet, or if the posts are being read from Google and the first message is non-archived.

Reply to
Nick

I've had a look at Screwfix, Toolstation, Axminster and Argos for routers and planers and have ended up totally confused with specs and prices.

Some planers have the cut depth described as 3mm, others as 0-3mm. Does that mean that the former will remove 3mm and no less?

It's not always clear if routers come complete with cutters and guide bushes. Is it the case that if it's not mentioned it's not included?

The FAQ has been very useful and a previous thread had good advice on what to buy but the recommendations were for £100+ tools which I can't justify.

Anyone able to suggest particular router and planer models at, say, no more than £50 each?

The message from F contains these words:

The should all read 0-(whatever mm).

Reply to
Guy King

Because it is indented, like this:

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

And what if the posts are from different ISPs and the first one hasn't arrived yet, or if the posts are being read from Google and the first message is non-archived?

Please everybody, put the name of the person you are replying to at the top, and leave a little bit of what they said. Otherwise I and many others will just ignore you.

Reply to
Nick

Useless if (a) you prefer to sort by date only or (b) you have deleted the rubbish to which the other was responding. There's no excuse for ignoring standard conventions for replying, other than arrogance, rudeness or ignorance.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

The message from John Cartmell contains these words:

How times change.

Reply to
Guy King

And has anyone got any views on the relative merits of the various makes: Bosch, Ryobi, Erbauer, Black & Decker, Challenge, Skil, Axminster, Ferm, Titan, Freud etc etc!

If you haven't needed one by now, you won't need it again. Buy cheap.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth