Replacing insulation on uPVC windows

In the sitting room of my flat there are three uPVC windows exposed to wind and rain blown in at high velocities off the River Clyde estuary. There is a large centre window with the glazed part being 185cms in height and 127cms wide. The other two windows on each side measure 185cms in height and 66.5 cms wide. These windows were installed by a previous owner and I am told by a neighbour that they are "Anglian Windows". He seemed to have been impressed by them to the extent that he had "Anglian" windows fitted to his flat recently.

The problem I have is that with the passage of time the rubber insulation strips fitted to the glazed part of the window and to the outer frame seem to have become "hardened" and to have lost partially their insulation properties. This had led to air getting through and when the wind is very strong (a regular occurrence in winter) there is a whistling noise. While I have countered this by using Sellotape it would obviously be better to replace the insulation materials. I should stress that there is no problem with the gaskets round the glazing.

I have looked extensively on the internet but "Anglian" and other similar companies seem intent only on selling windows and I can find no references to refurbishment. Nor can I seem to locate reputable companies skilled in refurbishment as opposed to total replacement. I bought a sample pack of gaskets online, but none of them seemed to reflect what I seek to replace.

I know there is a lot of knowledge within this group and I hope that some of you out there may be able to offer some guidance as to how best I can fix this problem at reasonable cost. Perhaps someone can give me the correct technical specifications for the two different types of insulation fitted to "Anglian" windows of this nature. As regards companies locally who might be able to assist I am situated near Dumbarton in Scotland.

Reply to
Alaric

I'd search for rubber extrusion or rubber strip, not insulation. If you cant find anything, silicone would probably do the trick.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I noticed the same problem on a few of our windows this weekend, With a bit of research on the internet I found these people:

(I'm not connected to them, and not a customer (yet!) as I've not had the time to fully investigate what profile I need, however once done I am sure that I will give them a try)

Mindthegap

Reply to
mind the gap

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I noticed the same problem on a few of our windows this weekend, With a bit of research on the internet I found these people:

(I'm not connected to them, and not a customer (yet!) as I've not had the time to fully investigate what profile I need, however once done I am sure that I will give them a try)

Mindthegap

Thank you for that response. Actually it was "Handles & Hinges" from whom I bought the sample pack. However, as I stated, none of the samples seemed to be a match for the two types of strips I reckon are needed in my case.

Alaric.

Reply to
Alaric

Have you contacted Anglian. I worked for them briefly 14 years ago and at that time you could book service calls for repairs.

Everest also serviced their own old units. at that time.

As I say things may have changed but as the frames were made by them and not the generic manufacturers, spares may be hard to replicate from other sources.

Reply to
Gary