Replacing dead NiCads tools with mains power supply?

e:

Yes, but at 3.3V or 5V.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Which bit if the voltage difference are you struggling with?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I think you need to explain this a bit more.

Reply to
Clive George

Which part of putting 3 psus in series are you not comprehending? That's why the grounding needs altering on 2 of them.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

assuming the output is grounded, at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've not yet seen one that isnt.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

SMPS's in series?

You cannot be series about this?

I'm not saying it wont work, but regulated supplies with no common reference sounds a bit iffy.

If you can get 3* 6V lead acids, go for it. Charging identical batteries is simple enough. Just ensure that they are returnable.

Why not adopt this solution in the first place?

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Maybe electronic engineering isnt your thing

NT

Reply to
Tabby

What has electronic engineering got to do with batteries?

Do you not think that batteries are more akin to chemical engineering?

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Indeed. the amount of lab power supplies we used to connect in series..they all had three terminals. Plus, minus and ground.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was referring to your comments on the pc psu option - no batteries involved.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I wasn't implying that it wouldn't work, personally I would not go out and buy three supplies expecting them to work together trouble free.

As none of the supplies are going to be exactly the rated output, one will think it has to supply more or less current than the others to maintain the Voltage. The current cannot alter in one PSU alone as they are in series, so at some point PSU number two tries to back off the current as it sees the output Voltage increase.

I have not tried this, so I do not know what would happen practically. I have seen power supplies used in parallel though, and this usualyy ends in disaster.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary