Replacing CH boiler...

A friend has just had his CH boiler replaced.

He was told by a local company he HAD to fit a condensing boiler, HAD to convert his 3 port valve to two two port valves, HAD to have thermostatic rad valves fitted- all to comply with new regulations. The boiler bit seems reasonable but the others don't.

(Also, a 'power flush' of the old system was recommended.)

Do the new regs (which I understand come into play Apr 05) specify these upgrades to existing (20 year old) systems?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes. By law, unless you really can't get one it, which is difficult.

Total tripe.

Not so.

You are right.

Just put "Fernox" cleaners in, before the new boiler and flush two or three time. They don't like to do this because it takes more time than a power flush. Also fit a strainer on the CH return pipe.

Yep. Get a one piece heat exchanger, top mounted downwards firing burner condensing boiler. "Don't" get a condenser with a secondary heat exchanger.

Split the heating iinto two zones: upstairs and downstairs with a stat/programmer on each, and don't bother with TRVs. This saves money on fuel as the upstairs can be off most off the day.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Far better to turn off the central heating completely and just heat one room. Is this what you do in your one bedroom flat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

< snip idiotic senile rambling >

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Almost certainly true.

HAD to

Not absolutely necessary unless the hot water cylinder is being upgraded to an unvented unit.

HAD to have thermostatic

Yes on nearly all radiators.

The boiler bit seems

There are a number of measures which are now mandatory to comply with the latest building regs. They are just there to ensure best practice and save a few percent on your household's contribution to CO2 emissions.

It is true that nearly all the energy consumed in most homes is for space heating. It is true that domestic energy requirements are about 25% of the national total. However even if we do all the right things it won't make sod all difference to the climate/weather. Cos: a) 40% of the problem is the USA and they are doing zilch about it. b) Even the the rest of the world is signed up to modest reductions in CO2 output. c) It's already to late.

Anyway regardless of the merits the heating system must comply.

Some sort of flushing will be required, there are various techniques some a lot easier and simpler than using powerful pumps.

For sure.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

So two wrongs make a right. The Yanks are doing sod all so we should. How negative. There is also local pollution which affects people.

Two wrongs make a right again. How odd.

Nonsense.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk...

As an interesting and thought provoking case I went to view a job for pricing this morning. An oil boiler vintage 1971 had started to leak. (A wet patch on the floor around it so theres a little time to get things together). The old boiler was located in an old wash-house attached to the dwelling and served a gravity primary hot water cylinder with central heating serving a whole house zone via a circulating pump in the return leg from the rads and a dumb-check valve in the flow pipe to stop thermosiphoning. The (steel) oil tank was in the same room as it had been since the time of original installation. The customer was astounded when I pointed out the ramifications of the current building regulations and standards. Considering the system had performed pretty much faultlessly since it went in I could see his point of view. I listed the Building Reg aspects to him as food for thought and advised him that these were supplemented by various British Standards CPs and acts of Parliament Part B relating to fire precautions so oil tank needs either encasing in a 3 hour fire resistant chamber or moving outside bearing in mind control of pollution act and clearances around the tank. Part F relating to ventilation for the combustion air to the appliance Part L relating to the energy conservation aspects and need for a new cylinder, thermostats, control valves, TRVs and associated wiring which led nicely on to Part P relating to notification of electrical work I'm pretty sure my price is going to end up exhorbitant and someone in the black economy and hence unfettered by the rules will get the job at around half, or less, the cost The new boiler will be about 15% more efficient than the old one and would in itself have given serious overall effect on the amount of oil consumed over the life of the boiler without over-egging the situation

Reply to
John