Replacing an old uPVC door handle - is it possible?

As part of the refurbishment of my elderly relative's bungalow prior to putting it on the market, I'd like to replace the tatty, chipped front door handle. There's a picture at

.

The uPVC door was fitted something like fifteen years ago by a local firm long since extinct (though I imagine they bought in their windows and doors) so is it feasible to replace just the handle? There seems to be a single grub screw on the underside of the boss (if that's the right term) so I'm hoping that it's simply screwed to a straight-through spindle, but I'm mildly reluctant to remove without more definite knowledge in case the whole thing falls apart.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Alternatively, could I simply repaint it? I'd like to do more than just a superficial cosmetic fix though, so is there a suitable paint?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Most handles these days, seem to come with the handle integral to the face plate, whereas yours appears a separate item which I've not come across in my searches for a replacement handle.

The measurements are critical too, length, bottom fixing to lock, lock to handle and so on. Have a look here.

is 48mm, lock to handle and seemingly no longer available in the length I require. Anyway it's too late now, as I've decided to replace the door.

As it's for refurbishment prior to sale, I'd probably leave it but if you want to brighten it up, give it a light sanding and spray it with something like this, which is fairly hard wearing.

Hammerite Appliance Enamel Paint White 400ml

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Andy,

Thanks for that. If I'm right about the grub-screw attachment, and if I can find a similar handle not too far away in design from the existing one (which is doubtful, I suspect) then a simple swap ought to be straightforward. If not...

Hmm. First impressions are what count, and all that. And the rest of the door is perfectly OK: the handle really lets it down.

I didn't know you could get spray Hammerite. Sounds well worth checking out, thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Those halde assemblies are standard stuff, though I've not seen one in that style before. Handle and the plate its on replaces as one unit. Fixing screws will be on the plate on the other side.

NT

Reply to
NT

Ah, right. So I was correct about the grub screw, and if I check for one on the other side, I won't find it?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

The grub screw should be on the inside handle with the outside handle fixed to the spindle. Unfortunately, a lot of older door sets didn't come handed or the manufacturer didn't want to stock both types so the grub screw ended up on the outside.

This wasn't a problem with symmetrical handles except that the grub screw could be visible on the top of the handle inside.

You should be able to get a replacement set of handles but, the suggestion of spray painting the handle seems the best idea to me.

Reply to
Ilene D'over

This one is, as you say, the exact opposite. But at least that means that the plate securing screws are inside rather than accessible from the street, which I would have thought was a good thing.

Yes, that is beginning to look like the favourite option.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yep, plate screws on the inside, always!. The reason for the spindle being fixed to the outside handle is so that you can still get into the house if the inside handle falls off. The other way round and you could push the spindle through while trying to get the outside handle on :o(

There used to be a lock assembly that had to have the spindle in place to turn the lock i.e. you could not turn it with a screwdriver because there was a pin, operated by the spindle, which engaged the mechanism. ISTR that these were definitely handed and caused all sorts of problems. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer now.

Reply to
Ilene D'over

I finally tried to remove just the outside handle, by loosening the grub screw and pulling. Nothing happened. It turns out that the handle is integral to the front plate: two bolts from the back plate engage in sockets at the rear of the front plate to hold it in position, and the grub screw is presumably just an additional securing measure.

I found a supplier with a handle set of the exact same dimensions ("Suitable for older uPVC doors" they say) at a reasonable price, so the whole lot will be spruced up both inside and out.

Thanks to everyone who contributed thoughts and ideas.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

In article , Bert Coules writes

Could you name the supplier please? I need a new handle for my Mum's front door and can't find a replacement anywhere. The distance between the two bolt holes is larger than anything I can find on the DIY shed shelves, and the handles are offset; there's two pins through the lock, the inside handle operates one and the outside handle operates the other.

The original supplier of the door claims the handles are no longer available, that new locks cannot be retrofitted and the only solution is complete replacement (!)

Ta.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike, sorry for the delay in replying: I didn't notice your unanswered post until today.

The handle came from Handlestore Ltd in Walsall:

. Very smooth, very quick service.

Good luck.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

En el artículo , Bert Coules escribió:

I shall take a look. Thanks v. much for getting back.

cheers M.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson