Replacing an immersion heater

Removing an old immersion heater is easy. I have removed dozens as an apprentice. All you need is a hacksaw blade with one end taped up to form a handle. Use this to saw out the fibre washer between the cylinder and the heater. You need to go all the way round and all the way through. You know you're through when you feel the blade skidding on the metal of the immersion heater. It will then unscrew quite easily. You might have to carefully file out any scores/fibre washer remnants on the flange face on the cylinder, Smear jointing compound on the new fibre washer.

Reply to
harry

I did that, and it is exactly as you say. Afterwards, I read that fibre washers of that era contain asbestos. Oh well, fingers crossed. You seem to have survived ok. :)

Reply to
GB

True but it is damp and the dust doesn't waft about.

Reply to
harry

I think that is a good point.

Possibly I was misleading and the jointing compound was applied to the washer.

The first time I refitted the immersion I didn't use jointing compound and it leaked. So I put jointing compound all around it the next time. I bought a better spanner too, so I can't be quite sure what fixed it.

Reply to
Nick

Only taper threads make a seal. Parallel threads are not intended to and need a washer or joint.

Reply to
harry

But if it had been fitted by someone who used a thread sealant than it won't help much.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

True, you don't need it for sealing. But if you use PTFE tape, this reduces the friction and then you get more axial force (so better sealing) for a given torque. And if you more or less completely fill the thread clearance with PTFE, you get less limescale deposited there, and that makes it easier to remove. PTFE is so soft that you can't really overfill the clearance, any surplus just extrudes. The same think happens if you accidentally put a wrap of PTFE over an olive, although it is good practice not to.

Reply to
newshound

IME yes, its much stronger when kept "taught" by the mass of water in it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh dear, I don't think this is going to increase my popularity, 'taut'. (It does mean you don't have to quote it really though).

:-) :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

That's virgin on tautology.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apologies - fumbled it as I typed, and then took the first spell check option without looking carefully enough!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's taut you!

Reply to
GB

Although it has left him barking mad! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm