Replacing a standard internal door with a Sliding one

We are in the process of replacing our kitchen and we would like to replace a standard opening door with a sliding one.

A carpenter called today and said that the existing frame will stay in place (he will remove and patch up the hinge and catch holes) and then the sliding door mechanism will go onto the wall and the door (3 inches larger than the existing one to avoid the need for absolute accuracy will sit on the outside of the existing door frame.

This means that we will have the old door frame and a door sitting behind it.

This isn't what I imagined as I wanted the sliding door to sit flush in the frame and looked like it belonged.

The wall is a solid retaining wall so the door can't slide into the cavity.

Can anyone suggest any other way of doing this or any products which will achieve a better result.

Thanks

Reply to
rition

I have seen a slide mechanism which allows the door to pop into place in the frame at close point. To open it you had to pull and slide the door. This was in a hotel in Italy and I'm afraid I didn't note the make.

Obviously with a straight sliding mechanism there is not much you can do other than for the door to sit flush on the aperture.

You might be able to improve the appearance by changing the architrave for a smaller one perhaps.

As another option, would a bifold door be any help? i.e. if space is an issue.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's possible to have the original door sliding so close to the wall, by a couple of millimetres, so it doesn't look to nasty when it's closed. Removing all the architrave around the door allows the door to virtually slide along the wall, so it should still look as though the door is in the hole when it's closed. Any spaces around the edges can be taken up with the use of brush draught excluder type stuff, and stops any light glinting passed the gaps. This too makes the door look even firmer in place when it is closed over the hole.

Having a runner at the bottom of the door is also a good point. The bottom runner can consist of a piece of timber screwed to the floor along the line of door when it is in the fully open position. It sticks out only slightly passed the door opening so that it holds the door quite firmly in place even when it is closed. No one walks into the hinge side of a door anyway, so the bottom runner isn't in the way when you walk through. This also helps guide the door tightly along the wall until it reaches the fully closed position.

Any good joiner will be able to make a sliding door look as if it is meant to be that style.

Reply to
BigWallop

What about a bi-fold door (I would like one but they seem a bit flimsy)

Reply to
John