Replace thermostatic mixing valve - what could go wrong?

In my experience the main difficulty in replacing a fitting while leaving t he olive (and original nut) on the pipe is that the bit of pipe that projec ts beyond the olive might not fully fit in the new fitting. Typically the original pipe will have been pushed in as far as it will go before the nut was tightened. If the new fitting has a shorter 'bored out' section then y ou end up with with the olive, already compressed onto the pipe, being unab le to press against the fitting.

Robert

Reply to
rmlaws54

Wow! I never thought of that before. I've had issues with tiny leaks when re-using such fittings but resolved that by just tightening the *f*ck* out of the joint until it stopped seeping. Brute force and ignorance often works.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's very true and I should have mentioned that. Easily cured by careful use of a hacksaw, being careful not to damage the olive and leaving at least 3mm of pipe.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Cynic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Absolutely +1

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Cynic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Parallel threads are for providing a "Clamping Force" The thread is not for sealing - the washer / olive or other feature is for sealing - end of!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes, but it's not the end of. When all else fails, as it occasionally can, one can fall back on using things in ways not designed for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr