Repairing rusty Crittall windows

special strokes?

Reply to
Jim K..

Beads. :-)

Reply to
Jim K..

I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the same way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the rust, paint with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester body filler, sand, prime and top coat. Is there anyone here who has renovated Crittall windows and has any advice (other than replace them)? ...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust eaters?

Reply to
nothanks

I have found that I can buy plastic window frames with double glazed glass made to order to the size I specify. I plan to replace my Crital frames and wood surrounds. The frames are 7cm thick and have to be glazed from the inside.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside? Otherwise the glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit removed by your local burglar.

Reply to
alan_m

Most are now.

That's why they generally stopped external glazing bars.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, my older windows are glazed from the outside but getting the trim off and actually removing the glazing is not easy without a special tool, and I've had no issues, but modern plastic ones are all glazed from inside I notice.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For a while they fitted the external ones with an adhesive security tape behind them. Presumably that made them harder to remove, but not impossible - on the usual principle of "they'll go somewhere else if its a bit more difficult/noiser than average, etc."

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Chris Bartram

Thanks. They're new to me and look very interesting.

Reply to
nothanks

Unfortunately plastic does not look the same, nor does stick-on leading look the same as real leading. Also, it would be ruinously expensive to replace the large number of casements in this house.

Reply to
nothanks

Not all.....

A school caretaker of my acquaintance became exceedingly grateful one night that the school office windows had been glazed the "wrong" way round when he accidentally locked himself out and couldn't even leave the electronically secured playground without the stuff he'd left inside.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Don't know if it applies to yours (the level of rust may suggest not) but many I see are galvanised steel - hence finding an appropriate primer that will bond properly is harder.

Reply to
John Rumm

According to tests on youtube, vinegar is the most effective rust remover.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Though not as ruinously expensive as replacing with new Crittall windows, though the new ones will at least be double glazed with thermal breaks and will still have fairly slim profiles.

Reply to
Andrew

They are galvanised and do last a long time but if they have been badly painted by a cack-handed person who has damaged the zinc coating, then rust soon gets in.

Reply to
Andrew

No.

Mine are glazed from the outside, but you have to remove the inner rubber bead which allows the panel to move inwards 1/8" inch which then allows the outside trim to be removed. It's quite clever.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That?s pretty much the norm for all replacement UPVC windows!

Not much help if the OP wants to keep the original look.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

True, but I have about 80 casements! Most are OK. Some have "a bit of rust". A few look OK but the glazing is being pushed away from the casement, so there must be rust. A few are badly rusted and need either filler or welding. To adapt a well known saying: buy a house in haste and repent at leisure.

Reply to
nothanks

These are late 30s "arts and crafts", which is before they started galvanising.

Reply to
nothanks