Repairing broken cast iron grate

Any chance of drilling and tapping. Cast iron is easy to drill and cut a thread. Clearance hole from top and tapping size down the leg. 6mm cap head should hold it together.
I would attempt welding as I have some rods intended for cast iron jobs. Not had any problems with local cracking on cooling where the total thermal mass is low. Anyway, you don't weld:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On 28/11/2015 22:42, News wrote:

You can do a silicon bronze braised repair on cast iron. You might be able to get it hot enough with a mapp gas torch and some good padding round it to keep the heat in.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 01/12/2015 03:33, John Rumm wrote:

I'd expect to be able to do it with the big burner (25 mm) on my propane cylinder, with judicious insulation. Any rod suitable for steel should be OK (I would have thought). Easy-Flo flux.
On 01/12/2015 20:24, newshound wrote:

I think you will struggle to fix it without either a mechanical fix (rivets, bolts) or a weld unless the fuel you burn doesn't get very hot. The grate on my parents fire used to get hot enough to soften and glowed cherry red at times.
On 01/12/2015 20:36, dennis@home wrote:

Fair point, it does depend a bit on where it is and, as you say, how the fire is run.
dennis@home.?.invalid writes

Indeed - which is why I'm replacing the grate. This is just an ordinary, domestic open fire burning mainly coal with some logs. The original grate now has more holes than designed. Some of the bars have burned away allowing smaller pieces of coal to drop straight through to the ash pan.
A new grate arrived by post, but with one corner, including leg, snapped off. Supplier is sending a replacement so all is well, but, not wishing to waste the broken one, I looked at ways of repairing it, without welding. Yesterday, I bolted it together, using one bolt and two penny washers through one of the slots. Given that a grate in use is unlikely to move, it may work. Time will tell.
--
Graeme