Repairing a gash to edge of solid wood worktop

We've got a solid wood beech worktop with a square edge. Something , probably a chair, has been bashed against the top edge and done a little damage, just a couple of mm's deep. A few splinters of wood are sticking out a little bit and I'm trying to decide how to repair it.

I was going to use that white woodglue and try to stick them back down and sand it but was worried the white colour might remain.

Any advice appreciated.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Pva glue dries clear at anything above freezing point. Masking tape is probably the easiest way to hold the splinters in place, but wipe the excess glue off first. Stretch the tape vertically to get a bit of pressure

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is it dented as well? if so you will need to steam the dent out first. take a thick cloth and wet it, place over dent and apply a hot iron. This injects water into the dent and swells the fibres back up. Rewet cloth and repeat until done. Depends on how your worktop is finished though, test underneath first.

As Stuart says, it sets clear, trick is only using a little. Try applying it with a pared down matchstick or similar. I second Stuart's suggestion of masking tape, wonderful stuff for jobs like this, just enough stretch.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

How was the beech damaged? It is one of the harder timbers.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer