Energy saving downlighter fittings?

We at present have two 4 ft fluorescent tubes in our H shaped kitchen. SWMBO insists on something better looking. :-( Downlighters or something.

Luckily her friends do not like Halogen bulbs because they do not have too short a life :-). Morrisons have several sorts of energy saving downlighters, but I can not find long fittings to take say five of them in a line.

Anybody got any suppliers

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Changing from wide spread fluorescent to downlighters of any type will give you a very disappointing drop in illumination of the room. We've covered kitchen lighting often here. Have you got sprace on top of wall cupboards where you could put fluorescents to light up the ceiling? That's one of the most effective schemes (with a brilliant white ceiling). You might even be able to use your two fluorescents (although you'll need more lighting than you currently have to reach same illumination level).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:38:18 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop wrote this:-

Time for a D. I. V. O. R. C. E.

Tell her that is the alternative:-)

Reply to
David Hansen

Take a look at

for low energy lights. Expensive but you can get low energy spots.

Anyone dealt with this company?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

With a name like that, it's a shame they don't have a website ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 04 Jun 2007 17:30:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) mused:

I think he means . Omnicron make crap alarms. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

I don't see any prices or ordering basket. Their website used to point to companies selling their products, but I don't see that anymore either.

I'm not sure if they actually _make_ anything. I think they are a distributor. I notice CPC have dropped their tracklamps.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Stuart. My eyes are shot from driving 560 miles this weekend :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:50:19 +0100, Dave mused:

Weekend? I've been known to do more than that in a day, and also fit in a few hours work here and there. I don't recommend it as a regular work pattern though!

Reply to
Lurch

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

And where can I get ones which I can dim (to replace my old fashioned filament bulbs)?

Reply to
John

TLC direct, or any electrical wholesaler, will have a limited range

Google for fitzgerald lighting, they have a very informative website with lots of products, should be obtainable on special order through local wholesaler. They have some nice linear tube fluoros, which provide a combination of firect and ceilign reflected lighting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You might try the circular "flying saucer" fittings using 2D tubes. I just replaced a pair of single 5 footers in my kitchen diner with two 15W on one side, one 28W on the other. The two 15's are better, providing a more distributed light. Screwfix cat. 86f pages 301-2

Reply to
Newshound

Converting the fls to uplighters would eliminate their appearance entirely. Trough and shelf fittings are the main options, Andrew just described an easy way to do shelf fittings. More info on them:

meow2222