Getting a ring off a beech worktop

Hi

A cast iron pan lid was left on a stove and then placed on an beech block worktop. This has scorched a ring into the surface of the wood. The worktop has a stained and oiled finish. It a Wickes worktop.

Question - is my only option to sand, stain and oil the entire L of worktops? I assume that if I sand down the scorch mark, I will sand through the stain and then have an area lighter than the rest of the surfaces.

If anyone's got any advice - even if it's yes, your worst fears are true, then please let me know.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

Lateral thought - if you had a router, you could route out a bit and inset a heat proof pad of toughened glass, tiles or something else :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you just sand the ring, you will get a noticeable dip in the worktop. You can probably re-oil it a few times to match the colour. I would use danish oil. Your best bet would be to sand the entire top, but that will be hard if you have taps set into the worktop as I seen in some places.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Kick ass.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ohhh, now that is clever.

And it would make it a designed feature instead of a repair.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Excellent solution, and probably future-proof the same thing happening again. I like that very much :)

Reply to
neil

Thanks guys. I like the idea of the routed inset, but with my skills, I suspect that I will be getting back to you with an "I-have-weird- shape-of-irregular-depth" question if I go down that route. I look into the crystal and I see a man surrounded by dust - that man is me.

Thanks again

David

Reply to
David

A router would be the quick and easy way - if you happened to have one,

But if you were to say, elect to use 4 square ceramic or stone tiles, you would reduce the job to a chiseling one - and the only important bit would be to get neat edges - a little depth variation and roughness on the bottom would not matter because you'd be filling that with tile adhesive.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The quick and easy way is to buy a pan stand and place it over the mark.

Reply to
mogga

An alternative to a router is...

- Make a template out of MDF with suitable hole cut in it

- Clamp & weight the template to the worktop

- Make sanding wood blocks & glue Alox sandpaper to it

- Sand through the template, avoiding tilting the blocks

- Vacuum regularly to avoid clogging things up

Alox P80 is aggressive enough to go down 3mm in a not unreasonable time. Then P150 P320 & oil a lot. Square off the bottom as necessary perhaps making a sanding block with a top piece that sits flush on the MDF template when the bottom is square and level all the way across. Gives a guide anyway.

Get two pieces of tempered clear glass cut & ground edge to fit (one spare!), about =A36-8.

For a better effect, use round-edged blocks and round-edged template. Requires a bit of precision, but would look a lot better I suspect than a square edge.

You are trading a few hours time & patience for the speed of a router (which would still need a template making anyway).

Reply to
js.b1

Best way to hide something is to make it conspicuous :-)

Reply to
hugh

Indeed. A packet of chocolate mini rolls has sat next to the oranges in the fruit bowl for 4 days now. A record for them to remain intact in our house.

Reply to
mogga

You presume they are still real... have not been replaced by socks, via a hole carefully cut in the bottom of the pack... are original when in fact they are a replacement pack to hide the original's consumption.

Reply to
js.b1