Renewing large patio joints

Steve <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85 snipped-for-privacy@example.com Wrote in message:

Easy joint & a big wallet

Reply to
Jimk

I have a large patio and some of the joints need refilling. The patio has large paving stones and the joints vary but the largest ones are about 40mm wide and 50 mm deep. I either need cement or mortar but it needs to be buff colour to match the other joints and as I am always useless at mixing these products I want something that is ready mixed and in a tub. What would people suggest? I think that the joints may be too large for regular mortar but comments welcome please!

Reply to
Steve

You do not have to be good at mixing.

You want three bags of *sharp* sand to one bag of *WHITE* cement, and use a bucket to mix. get a couple of pet food scoops and do three scoops of sand then one of cement and then add water and keep stirring till its not quite pourable.

munge it into the cracks with a pointing trowel and then do the following carefully

Use your pointing trowel to scoop off any large bits in the wrong place and then get a big bowl of water and a dish or bath sponge. Squeeze out the sponge and wipe ONCE across the slabs to pick up any loose sand and cement, rinse the sponge in the water, squeeze and *keep on doing this* till the wet mortar is ONLY in the cracks NOT on the slabs. This is the most important thing - never let the cement dry on the slabs as even patio or brick acid wont really get it off afterwards. They will however remove any slight dusting of residual cement - brush on, and then pressure wash afterwards.

WHITE cement with yellow sand nets you that buff colour SHARP sand gives a rougher more rustic feel but of its a very 'townie' patio, builders sand works OK and gives a smoother finish. Buy all these from a builders merchant.

Give yourself plenty of rime, To do a good job and clean it all up will take about an hour per square meter. Till you get practiced. If it looks like rain put a sheet over it overnight

I'll be doing more of mine in a week or three..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher