Removing Plastered over heath/firebricks from second floor

Hi All,

I've recently removed the worn ceramic tile floor that covered the kitchen floor in our upstairs flat. Under neat the tiles are old pine floorboards that cover about 85% of the floor. The other 15% is an area about 100cmx40cm beside a wall where once a fireplace stood. The fireplace is now blocked off. The area where the heath must have been is plastered over level to the pine floor boards. The plaster is broken in areas and underneath it I can see some bricks. I would like to remove this plastered part of the floor and lay down reclaimed boards in its place so that I can sand them. Before I remove it, is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?

A radiator now sits on the wall in front of the plastered area where the fireplace use to be. Its quite obvious that some if not all of the plaster was applied after the radiators went in as it covers the pipes. Which got me thinking was there any reason why the previous owners did this rather that cover then with boards. Where they blocking something off, supporting something etc or was plaster just easier to level the floors for tiling? I think it was the latter myself but just thought I double check.

Cheers A

Reply to
ado