Removing paint from glass

The panes of glass are above the internal doors so the width of a door and around 5 inches high. The type of glass is the stuff with a metal lattice in it, one side is smooth the other a kind of shallow dimpled effect. and thats the side I am having problems with previous owner, was messy painting and has covered part of the glass. I have tried scrapers/ blades but because of the dimple effect cant get it off (not flat) I have already painted the woodwork and of course should have removed the old paint first.

Any ideas? I will eventually get it off but will have to spend hours with a nail or something just scraping away a bit at a time. Must be a quicker way.

Reply to
SS

Wire brush, scrub away, gently pick out remains with needle/nail/whatever.

Yes: Paint stripper, repaint the edge. Been there...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

don't forget the dettol :)

Reply to
Gazz

Paint the whole thing and pretend it was never glass.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Paint the whole thing and pretend it was never glass.

MBQ

I thought about that MBQ but the little light it lets through is useful for the stairwell.

Reply to
SS

Angle grinder

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Wire brush.

Reply to
F Murtz

te:

I dont see a better option than that.

NT

Reply to
NT

Fine wet and dry paper soaked in white spirit. It works and will not scratch the glass.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Steel wool should also work without scratching (and is a lot easier to use on irregular surfaces) but it will still be hard work because white spirit isn't a solvent for dried paint.

Reply to
stuart noble

White spirit helps.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Thanks for all the ideas, I will try some and see if it makes it any easier. Looks like its just gonna be one of these slow and tedious jobs. :-(

Reply to
SS