Removing olives

Simplest & cheapest approach would be (as others have suggested) using a junior hacksaw to cut through the olive almost parallel to the pipe until you can break it off with a screwdriver in the slot you've cut. The only thing I'd add to that us use a *good* junior hacksaw and *good* blades. Been there, done that .... having used el cheapo saws and blades and now using an Irwin

and half-decent blades
I can assure you it makes a big difference. OK so you'll be spending over a fiver on this kit, but after the job you still have a useful decent junior hacksaw :-)

I've removed a lot of olives using this technique and it works, the only problem typically being actually getting access to work the hacksaw in a confined space and the remaining pipe tail possibly being too mangled by an over-tightened olive and/or valve twisted out of line with the pipe. A dollop of Boss White will make up for a lot of imperfection in the pipe, but if it's too bad you may have to cut back the pipe and solder on a new bit. For this you'll have to have the pipework draind right down, and if the pipes are buried in concrete that may mean sucking the water out with a wet vac.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I do, but have never used it in the way I have described here. I thought you would be far less likley to catch the pipe with this, as the contact area will be very small on a round disk (5mm ish), unluke a long Jr hacksaw blade (15cm), and the fact you will just need to tickle the olive would mean, Iwould think you were less likeley to slip, where as with a hacksaw, you need to put a *lot* more effort into it!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

I find it better to blow it through rather than suck, as it were. Assuming you have a device that can do this. I use the compressor from my HVLP spray set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And then suddenly it snags on something and skips out of the slot onto the pipe...

Reply to
Paul Matthews