Removing marks from a bathroom basin

We picked up some ex-display bathroom gear for our new bathroom. It appears to be a billy-bargain but the basin has some black "scuffs" around the tap, apparently from a tool that has rubbed against the surface whilst it was being fitted in the showroom. It's not a scratch, or at least not deep, because I can't feel anything when I run my nail over it. It's not bad, but I know it's there!

I've tried all sorts - WD40, Brasso, toothpaste, but nothing seems to shift it. Any ideas as to how I might be able to shift it? Thanks.

Reply to
keiron99

Barkeepers Friend shifts most things. I wouldn't be without it.

have no connection with this company, this is the only one of their products I use.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

T Cut car restorer ..Brillo pad ...pot scourer/The yellow sponge thing with the green pad on t'other side...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Jif? Or Cif as its now known? An abrasive cream cleaner. Brillo pad?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.comtyped

A rubber pencil eraser.

Keep the basin dry.

If it works, great, if it fails, you have spent nothing (assuming you have basic stationery at home)

Also, try Blu-Tack.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Try "Power Bath" cleaner - you can get this at most supermarkets! Worked like a dream on my old cast iron bath....

Good luck

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Tried the T Cut, Brasso, rubber eraser etc etc, none of which worked. Have since ordered some of this "Bar Keepers Friend", not least because I like the name of it!

Reply to
keiron99

Don't try drinking it!

You can get it from the supermarket ... and I'm not making any promises.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It might be metal from grips or whatnot rubbing on it. Use hydrochloric acid ("Spirits of Salts") soaked on a nylon cloth rested on the stain. Check that acid won't affect the basin by testing on an inconspicuous bit first.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Our new basin came with a black blemish in the glaze. The bathroom fitter polished it out with something he called a Porcelain Erazer, or Ceramic Erazer, (or somesuch). I had little faith but I have to say it worked perfectly and still left the glaze shiny.

Google not much help.

Try phoning some bathroom suppliers. They might be able to point you to where you can get one.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

You could try a China & Bath Rubber from Toolstation

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Yes. You can use any very find abrasive...metal polish, valve grinding compound, T-cut, jewellers rouge to achieve the same effect..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher