Removing grp resin from screen

Hi all

Is there any way of removing what appears to be hardened resin from a TV screen. It is a long time since I last used GRP and don't recall any dissolving agent once set. Any suggestions on how to rectify the problem.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

The message from "Steve Smith" contains these words:

Be careful. Some screens have an antireflective coating which looks like ground glass but isn't - it can come off. I know - I've done it to a monitor once. Though I've not actually seen it on a telly.

Anyway, acetone can help shift resin, failing that, thumbnails.

Reply to
Guy King

You can soften with an iron or soldering iron and scrape, but its pretty inert chemically. Acetone might slightly soften it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks chaps, I'm assuming it's resin, it is rock hard and has that pink tinge to it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Paint stripper will sort it, provided you are SURE that the screen will not be damaged by it.

Used on glassfibre panels, it removes the resin and leaves the mat behind!

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I thought that might be a problem when I read the OP...

Cellulose thinners may be worth a try, it cleans un-hardened resin off brushes very well indeed. Might take the anti-glare or whatever off too though!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

As in nitromors?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi

Never thought of that, ta, could be the answer so long as I keep it away from the plastic bits. The screen is a flat display without any anti-glare etc as far as I can tell. It is actually a computer monitor, NEC FE700 17" CRT.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Ooops, I guess Opticlear to 'reduce reflection and glare' is anti-glare. So whatever I do the screen will suffer some damage. It looks like the resin has already damaged it. If it is epoxy resin is it hopeless anyway? What's the chance of removing the anti-glare from the whole screen?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

How thick are the spots of "resin"? If you press a sharp point[1] into them, they might (!) split up and fall off with minimal damage.

[1] more like a nail than a needle.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

erm, it is a monitor, was it scrap?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

The message from "Steve Smith" contains these words:

No, it just had a shiny bald spot about the size of a thumbnail. It happened when we moved house and I couldn't afford to replace it. It died about three years later so it was all rather irrelevant after that.

Reply to
Guy King