Removing a start drive screw from a disc in a caddy

Excellent... I'll try that.

I haven't found a use either pressing enough (or billable) to justify spending that kinda money on a one-trick pony, however useful.

Also, should I think of it, a pinch of carborundum powder, maybe in a binder (oil/grease seem counterproductive -- maybe water?)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Well, there's a thing.

Just had a minor brain wave. Took out 3 screws as suggested so that I could move the plastic case around to make sure that was not binding. Then I worked my way through the comprehensive set of unusual/security screw bits in my Draper set to see if another type of bit would fit well enough into the hole to grip. Somewhat to my surprise a hex head fitted well enough to give a bit of grip and the screw is now out!

This attempt was prompted by the suggestions, including rubber bands, to provide a little bit of extra friction. So those ideas are as yet untested.

Now to put it back with 3 screws and then find another screw to fit from my collection of small screws.

Then (eventually) to build a file server.

As an aside I have been talking about upgrading my graphics card on my daily driver to enable reliable 4k display support.

The current card may well do nicely in a PCIe slot in the server.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
Dave R

What condition was the screw in ?

Had it been abused by someone ? Threads ruined ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The head was stripped, but as soon as I managed to get a screwdriver bit to get a little purchase it came out very easily. No sign of over tightening as the plastic caddy would rotate. A bit of a puzzle, really.

Almost as if the screw was damaged before it was screwed in. This assumes that there was enough purchase by a screwdriver to spin it in against no resistance but to cam out as soon as the screw tightened up a bit.

The replacement screw with a smaller head diameter went in easily so the thread seems OK.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David