Remember OT mad old woman syndrome and bird flu

More OT but it seems from this evening's news that bird flu MAY WELL spread to the (filthy) pigeon and the (flocks of) sparrows. AS I POSTULATED in the original post.

Wonder how the advocates of these disgusting birds (pigeons) who attacked my original post will squirm out of it now?

More importantly, can this dozy country wake-up and implement an immediate ban on garden feeders that attract pigeons? And also an immediate cull of these filthy birds. Or do we have to wait for it to be endemic first?

Reply to
dave

You shouldn't have put seed out on your original post......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Get a life.

pigeons? And also an

What's your hurry? Either way you will be onto a winner.

So lady (or ladies or whatevers) and gruntlemen;

Do we kill them before it is too late or do we kill them when it is too late or do we go back to sleep? Anzzwerzzzz.. 'nnnapzzzz card plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

*It's not endemic first then second it is endemic. A minor point but you like minor points in this your final hour. Do points mean prizes?
Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Cant; wait...but then the raptors may get it too. That would be bad. And the cats ...

Well small bird populations fluctuate with alarming rapidity and depth. Once the bird populations is at about 10% of what it is now, the flu will die out naturally.

I haven't noticed any pigeons on line recently...but heck the buggers are everywhere.

Garden feeders round here do not attract pigeons. They are busy taking their tithe off the rape fields. Its bloody subsidised rape that cause the pigeons you know. Filthy stinking crop feeds filthy stinking birds.

Bring yer 410 round and lets go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WTF are you lot doing up so late?

(Besides trolling usenet.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Oh, waiting for the wife to finish watching someone dying of cancer on the TV actually.

Its bad enough IRL, why watch it when you don't have to?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same question re Contamination St and DeadEnders (but with the cancer prog you might actually learn summat about the disease)?

I know "17 million people .." Maybe it's also a clever plot, getting those who wouldn't normally watch documentrys to help them learn how to deal with 'real world' issues?

But 'entertainment'?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

The same may be true of humans.

Reply to
Guy King

Read this article and stop panicking:

"Lottery win more likely than bird flu"

- "In China, where the disease is endemic among birds, just 14 infections and 8 deaths have been confirmed by the World Health Organisation in a population of 1.3 billion people ? a rate of one case per 93 million and one death per 163 million."

David

Reply to
Lobster

Do you want to give a link to the original research that generated the 'news'?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Unless you are in the habit of kissing your pigeons you are very* unlikely to be infected in this way. The million-times more likely way of your getting bird flu is by some of those millions of contacts in China (with people kissing their feathered dinosaurs) getting a version of 'bird-flu' that passes from human to human.

*Then* you need to panic.
Reply to
John Cartmell

I suppose the graceful swans and cute ducks and the charming chafinches don't spread anything, so we don't need to cull them...?

Reply to
Blueyonder

nearly every week. Sometimes several people...

Reply to
Blueyonder

So?

Reply to
Lobster

So some Bird Flu Winners can expect to do some big spending, i.e. eternity.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You don't like the sad old biddy feeding the pigeons, so you've seized upon the bird flu to excite a bit of fear in the apathetic neighbours. The pigeons are her best friends, better than her neighbours.Ring the local council and speak to the Witchfinder, I'm sure they'll be able to have her burnt at the stake for you.

They (pigeons) perform a useful function in turning waste and insects into guano. This would have been a useful function in their natural habitat, but the filthy birds follow the filthy people and feed on their waste. Besides which, most of their natural habitat has been tarmaced over or turned in an chemically-sanitized agribusiness desert.

Let me reassure you that there is very little possibility of your becoming infected with bird-flu from the pigeons. Those who have become infected with the H5N1 avian flu were mostly living in close proximity with infected poultry. There is some concern that an avian flu has been able to infect other species; the fear is that it may infect livestock which carry other human strains of flu and then mutate into a human-human transmissible form. If this does happens, you will probably catch the virus from one of your neighbours and then die.

Have you considered a cull of the humans?

Reply to
Aidan

She said it was 'very moving'

I decided that I was fine where I was, and didn't want to be moved.... ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Lets hope I am one of the 10%...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shoot the ruddy lot.And the ruddy ducks :D

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, they feed exclusively on plant material, not waste, and most of it round here is a profit making crop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher