Regarding the holding of dogs.

I've always thought it very useful with dogs that are light enough to be picked up to have a safe method of doing it. It's important that the dog is used to it and knows what to expect, so it needs to be practiced. My method: Squat down but keep your back straight. Assuming you are facing the left side of the dog, so its head is to your left. Put your left arm under the dog's chest with your hand facing upwards. This means turning your arm anticlockwise. With your left hand hold the dog's front right leg quite firmly just below the shoulder. At this stage it's awkward for you because your arm is turned as far anticlockwise as far as it will go. Simultaneously sweep your right arm leftwards towards the dog's bum, holding down the tail. Your arm will then be supporting the dog at the top of the back legs/bum area. Stand up keeping your back straight, and lifting the dog. Lift the front of the dog higher than the back. That allows your arm to rotate clockwise to a more comfortable position. The dog's weight should be roughly the same on both of your arms. The dog should be comfortable because its weight is on naturally load-bearing parts: the bum/back legs and the front shoulders, rather than on the chest. I don't know anyone else who lifts dogs this way but it works for me. When I took Bella to the vets he was surprised at how easily I lifted her onto the table and how calm she was about it. It does depend very much on the dog being used to it though. My old labs used to come to me when we reached an obstruction on a walk and ask to be lifted over. I couldn't lift a lab now though! Bella is just about capable of climbing in and out of the van but will scrounge a lift if she can get away with it. (She tried to be a stowaway the other day; attempted to jump into the back of the van when I wasn't looking. It ended ignominiously for her.)

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The Jack Russell cross whatever that I see regularly, can jump up to waist height when is delighted to see me, despite having diddly legs.

Reply to
Andrew

For a Jack Russell you could adapt the DIY cat carrier constructed from a hacksaw frame

alan_m

Well it does rather depend on the size and breed of the dog. Ex-racing greyhounds are very used to being handled and normally put up zero resistance (although my current, old one is the exception: any attempt to pick him up results in the greyhound scream of death). But for normal greyhounds the technique is to pretend to be a fork lift truck. Bend elbows at 90 degrees, taking due care of one's own back slide one arm behind front legs into crook of elbow, and the other in front of back legs similarly and then it is a straight lift.

Racing greyhounds typically weigh between 30 and 40 kg (depends on sex) so you do need to be fit, and it's best if you have been properly trained for industrial lifting.

Reply to
newshound

Jack Russells dont realise they are small dogs :-) They can jump to a height of 5 feet and will dig under fences to escape. They are rocket propelled nut jobs.

Reply to
ss

<snip>

Given your recent reply regarding live stock recently:

"If I and many others were to be deprived of our steaks we would have two thoughts: 1. How can I beat the system and get steak?, and 2. I hate the bastards who caused this shortage of steak."

So I would have thought you wouldn't bother lifting the animal at all, but just drag it by one leg manually, or if it was an adult animal you were moving, just drag it with a tractor or forklift?

Or do you practice (logically inconsistent) speciesism?

Just wonderin ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes I had a lab Retriever cross. Do beware of dog straight out of river syndrome, not only a lot heavier, but very smelly and wet.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It depends on the size but the basic idea is similar until you get to large dogs.

Small ones, a hand between the front legs, from the side, and another to support the rear.

Slightly larger dogs, you adjust this mainly as it isn?t so easy to contain them in your hands so you need to involve your forearms. Once you do it a few times, it becomes natural.

Larger still, you either scoop up their legs or place forearms under chest and belly or around rear, depending on reach / dog size.

The dog needs to feel secure but not crushed.

A good vet will show you.

The beauty of the above methods are the adapt as the dog grows and, should you need to, they make it easy to hand the dog to someone else.

Reply to
Radio Man

I used to pick up my standing Dobermann by putting my arms around his 4 legs and scoop him up, with body resting in a cradle like pose.

Reply to
Smolley

That?s it, you scoop up their legs, if you can reach. Picking up a full grown Doberman is hardwork ;-) As for exercise......

Which brings me to a pet hate of mine:

I do worry when I see people with several dogs whether they have the space at home for them to run around etc. Keeping even a small dog in a pokey flat is like putting it in prison yet, so called, animal lovers, keep several dogs in pokey flats.

Reply to
Radio Man

Both lovely breeds.

Reply to
Radio Man

Probably one of the funniest dogs to watch play with a ball. Give one a large football, they love it.

Reply to
Radio Man

Are you sure they're not dog-walkers, exercising dogs from several households at the same time?

Reply to
Chris Hogg
<snip>

You have a load of those don't you Brain?

What about if they have one dog?

Is it? What's that like then, prison?

How would a 'poky flat' be compared with say having to live with you (and their constant fear of being killed and eaten) or being left outside in a kennel or being left alone in a crate in big house all day?

Sorry, have you just read a news headline in the Sun or something?

See, again, what you aren't able to see is the 'bigger picture', like what actually matters to a dog and how you treat dogs (say) differently to lambs, piglets, calves or chicks and chickens?

Most dogs, especially older ones (and even greyhounds) are quite happy to sleep much of the day, as long as they are getting sufficient (and that varies by breed, age, health etc) exercise *and* enrichment.

Like, taking your dog on a long walk may not be sufficient exercise, if it's the sort of dog that likes to run (like the lurcher we are currently giving convalescence to). We can walk both him and the terrier 5 miles (and do most days), the terrier would be happy with that (but would also be happy to carry on walking or doing stuff, if there was stuff to do) whereas the lurcher still wouldn't settle without a free run (ideally with other dogs).

Step daughters cavashon lived in a flat but the flat was right next to a park so was out the front door and off the lead straight away. However, if you took her out for a reasonable walk in the morning, she wouldn't want (and would go back to the flat) if you tried to take her out again, or if it was cold / raining in any case.

So, in between the walks, you need puzzles and games, hiding treats around the house, putting treats in puzzles, play fighting and throwing toys for fetch, if they like that sort of thing.

So what matters more (ITRW) than how large your home or garden, but how much of a home you give your dog and what sort of life and love and attention it gets.

And it's not just dogs of course, most animals are inquisitive, can be trusting (even 'wild' animals) until something happens to them to change that (or they are killed).

The worst thing is when they are made to suffer and / or killed, just for peoples pleasure. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don?t parks normally require dogs to be on leads? Irresponsible dog OWNERS are a real problem.

Fancy not taking the dog out if it is raining.

Reply to
Radio Man

I have a large house, which use to house two dogs. Once the daily 'hunt' had been undertaken, they ate their dinners, and went to sleep. When they woke up one would stare out of an upstairs window at what was happening outside, and the other would laze round doing not much. They never 'ran around'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip for the lazy troll>

Not always, depending on the park. Many bylaws state they must simply be 'Under control' and the owners must clear up after them.

Absolutely.

Me, no probs, the dog might (and can, if it chooses to) have a different view on it.

Our rescue whippet was petrified of umbrellas so I'm guessing you would force her out in the rain eh? Probaby hit with one by her PO (it wasn't you was it, for her not wanting to go out in the rain)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

that is a chunk of the problem...