OT National Trust Properties with Slave trade links.

The National Trust have produced a so called 'Shame' list of 93 of their properties linked to the Slave Trade including Winston Churchills former home Chartwell House.

Is there no end to their historical 'whitewashing'?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Isn't that like saying 'Some of my best mates are black'?

This will always be the issue when people do the 'Wrong thing' and whilst slavery may have been 'legal' then, doesn't mean it was moral 'then', and it's the general morality of people being held up as 'Good people' that is now being questioned.

So no one would question many of these people *also* did good things, but the fact that they also did bad (immoral) things means it may not be appropriate to present them as 'heroes', especially to those who may have suffered by their hand.

I understand the toppled statue of Edward Colston will still be on display in a museum for anyone to see if they wish and I'm sure many will still celebrate any good things he did, it just won't be 'put on a pedestal' in a generally public / prominent position.

That's not whitewashing anything, it's just reflecting the feelings of those who may not appreciate said bad things.

Conversely, don't we [1] actually 'celebrate' the failed attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament by burning effigies of a person involved in the attempt?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Well, not me of course, the wasteful 'celebration' by the effective setting fire to money and terrifying animals bit.
Reply to
T i m

Is there no end to your stupidity?

Reply to
Radio Man

You apparently don't agree, but you could have kept that to yourself. Unless you are going to say precisely what you don't agree with, and why, it seems really pointless to say anything at all.

As my son says to me occasionally, it's better to say nothing and let people think you're a fool, than open your mouth and prove it. :)

Reply to
GB

A couple of years ago the National Trust painted Easter out of their Easter celebrations. There was a bit of a row about it at the time. Seems like nothing changes in that organisation.

Reply to
Spike

That's quite a sad, irrelevant statement to post.

It is wrong to rewrite and distort history. To correct it, yes.

We shouldn't hold present Jews any more accountable for the killing of Jesus any more than blacks should hold present whites for the salve trade.

Both are historic facts/beliefs and they should be embraced as such. Sometimes we can learn from the past and stops it being reinvented.

Reply to
Fredxx

Most stately homes (with their formal gardens and less formal parks) were financed by the sweat of agricultural workers, and, earlier, serfs.

The rest were financed during the industrial revolution by the sweat of factory workers &c.

That just about wraps the National Trust up.

Reply to
Max Demian

Part of me wishes that I was still a member, so that I could cancel my subscription - but I did that some time back on another occasion they were playing silly buggers.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Only if you don't understand it troll.

No one is trying to troll.

Or that troll.

Whoosh (troll). You *really* are thick aren't you troll?

Of course, and they are.

You don't seem able to, the number of times you faceplant here (troll).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That is what makes this apologising for being white so ridiculous.

Reply to
Richard

It should be clear to all who the troll is here!

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Which Churchill bought in 1922 and had largely re-built at considerable expense, borrowing heavily in the process. The house was sold to the National Trust in 1945 in a purchase financed by a group of friends, over worries he could no longer afford its upkeep.

michael adams

michael adams

The NT seem to have conveniently forgotten that.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

You are a miserable sod aren't you?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

but I did that some time back on another occasion they

+1
Reply to
alan_m

Better boycott those damn pyramids in Egypt too. All done by slave labour.

Reply to
Andrew

Well I've not seen the latest, but there was never any punches pulled on the few I have been to in this area. Tour guides are pretty on the ball with that kind of thing. One has to realise though that a building is guilty of nothing, and the social norms of society many years ago is going to seem completely at odds now. That is the whole point of history, to teach us not to always slip on the same banana skin. You can't destroy the past by burning all the books. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa
<snip>

Ironically, no.

Just because someone doesn't share your idea of 'fun', doesn't mean they are miserable.

Maybe I'm just a thinker, try to be considerate, would prefer my 'fun' didn't impact other people negatively.

Now, 'fireworks' might have been fun when I was a kid and setting them off for the family myself, not since then, nah.

I'd say 'miserable is what you are when you send a few hundred thousand pounds up in spoke in a short time when that money could make the last weeks of a kids life more 'fun'.

I believe this years public NYE firework display is cancelled due to Covid19 so if we get to see 'it' somehow on TV instead, what percentage of the population would care and how many would watch it in comfort on the TV in any case?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wasn't he killed by the Romans?

Reply to
GB

The Jewish Priests dobbed him in, on the grounds of unfair competiton. No overheads etc. Despite "The Life of Brian" the Jews weren't allowed to just go around stoning anyone they chose. Trying and executing people was a Roman perogative as it helped demonstrate and maintain their authority.

While in this case also maintaining good community relations.

michael adams

michael adams