Reeds for reed beds

Anyone know of any Scottish suppliers of plants for a reed bed sewage treatment system? I suspect that they may have to come from down south but my builder is looking for a more local source. (They're not for me btw).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

You may have luck if you ring up the local RSPB nature reserve - they like planting lots of reed beds. I've no idea if you need specific species mind.

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Tim Downie" contains these words:

There used to be a firm in Newburgh. Can't remember the name, though...

Ah, here we are - they don't exist any more:

that the Tay reedbeds are the largest in the UK, I can't see why there would be a problem with helping uourself to some...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Reeds are harvested by cutting, not by pulling them up. I suspect if you went tramping around the reedbeds pulling up reeds, sooner or later somebody would have something to say about it - I'd not be surprised if the biggest reedbeds in the country don't have umpteen conservation designations. And won't be there much longer if they've stopped harvesting them...

Reply to
Doki

A Google for "reed bed sewerage Scotland"

gave

a lot of places to start asking your question.

Reply to
RW