Reduction Gearing

All the information needed to provide a useful answer to the question was provided at the outset. Space, weight, price? WTF has any of that got to do with this simple question? I'm sorry you alone seem to have a basic English comprehension problem; no one else had any difficulties.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I disagree. Without knowing the constraints such as power/torque required, efficiency and other physical constraints this is a hypothetical question.

The simplest solution is a single worm and gear. All you need is a worm drive with and a matching 4,000 tooth wheel.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I thought *you* of all people would have *known* it was a hypothetical question!!

That should be an off-the-shelf job from the local hardware shop, then. :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And be out by two.

Reply to
dennis

Actually, that isn't necessarily the simplest solution if there is a requirement for the drive to be reversible (i.e. for torque at the output to be capable of reversing an un-powered motor).

But thanks for confirming my point that what differentiates a real engineer from an armchair theorist is the ability to recognise and balance all the real-world factors in order to find an optimal solution.

Reply to
newshound

trolls are best left hungry

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There you go again: introducing "requirements" that were never stated in the first place. You also appear to be unaware that high ratio worm/wheel arrangements are *not* reversible in this way.

Thanks for confirming my point that you re-write a simple question to suit your own purposes.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My point exactly.

Your "simple" question doesn't have an answer. So why bother to ask it?

Reply to
newshound