Recommended dustproof mobile phone or case?

My mobile (11 months old) appears to have expired, almost certainly due to continuous exposure to building dust etc. I always kept it in the provided case, but particularly since this had a 1 cm hole in the middle to allow access to a damn-fool joystick button (it's a Sony Ericsson K500i), I don't think it helped much.

When I get my next phone, can anyone recommend a decent range of dustproof cases for use in inhospitable environments? Or even a particular model of phone?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks David

PS If anyone knows how to get inside the casing of a Sony Ericsson K500i in order to give it a good clean, please let me know! There appear to be no screw heads anywhere, so it's probably a case of prising it open somehow - obviously very risky in the absence of any guidance!

Reply to
Lobster

How about a waterproof case?

Reply to
Grunff

nokia 5210. u wont regret it.

Reply to
strawberry

AIUI bick dust hasn't any effect on electronics at all, unless its wet. The main thing to look for is bad battery connections that might have got dust between the metal contacts, or the same at the SIM card. Both of these should be easy to access.

bland

Reply to
bland

I have a Nokia, which has been run over by a tractor, and still works. I would stick to the simple ones, without cameras, and openers etc. Alternativly just pick up an old 10 quid job every 6 months or so.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

NK 5140 is better IMHO

The ring is louder than a 5210, which can be important in a 'working' environment.

Reply to
J B

You can get all sorts of nice little accessory bags and cases from opticians, photographic and outdoor shops

Reply to
owdman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "strawberry" saying something like:

Though a bit long in the tooth now, they're tough little buggers and just keep on working after being dropped, soaked, run over. Nothing fancy about them, just a basic phone that keeps on going.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon