Recommendations wanted for electric chainsaw as my Bosch one has died

My Bosch 40cm chainsaw has finally died (motor bearing seems to have failed) after many years good service felling Lleylandii and chopping logs.

So, I need a replacement, probably around the same size (16"/40cm), maybe a bit more powerful though the Bosch seemed quite adequate actually.

I don't want to spend loads of money but would like to get something that will be reasonably easy/pleasant to use. I can't find anywhere with comparisons of electric chainsaws so I'm a bit stuck. I chose the Bosch because it was about the cheapest 40cm I could find at the time.

I still have an even older B&D with a 12"/30cm bar, it's not as powerful as the Bosch but otherwise is OK. In fact I prefer the chain adjustment on the B&D as it's *not* "toolless", the no tools chain adjuster on the Bosch is actually less easy to use IMHO.

So, any recommendations (or un-recommendations)? Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for a cheapo Einhell from Focus (it's £49.99 and there's a Focus store just up the road). What more do I get if I spend £100 or so on a 'better' brand?

Reply to
tinnews

Hi, I thought a lot about this and ended up with the Einhell one. The chain tension adjustment is a plastic screw, which I suppose I can replace, but otherwise it seems pretty good. I also got the oldie discount which is every day at Focus.You might have an oldie friend ! I figured I could get its worth out of it within the guarantee period. I also have an old B&D one which I accidently abused by running it out of bar oil and it burnt out a nylon sprocket. Wondering where I could get a replacement for that. It was good for its age. Good luck. David Gilliland

Reply to
gilli

I don't need an oldie friend, I'm old enough and have a Focus discount card too. :-) So the Einhell is OK is it?

Reply to
tinnews

Given the potential downsides should it decide to fly apart in use, this is a tool where I would not be included to buy on price.

Not used many electric ones personally, but of those, the nicest that I have used was a Husqvana. Personally I quite like the Makita petrol saws.

Reply to
John Rumm

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote in news:4a64d816$0$31039$bed64819 @news.gradwell.net:

chopping

reason

You need a model which has effective safety features; a kick up detector that stops the chain in less than a second; a motor brake that does the same when you release the trigger; a chain catcher. In October I bought an AL-KO cos it had all those features and cost £79. But it has been back in the dealers for repair for more time than I have had use out of it. So I would go for a Husqvana - about £150? DAvy

Reply to
Davy

... and do we know that that Husqvarna would be more reliable? :-)

OK, I take your point but I'm not all *that* convinced that more expensive means more reliable nowadays. I can get a Husqvarna 321EL for about £135 so it's not *that* expensive but I'd like to be sure I'm really getting what I want. There's nowhere that one can actually look at these things nowadays.

Reply to
tinnews