Recommendations please for board for microwave oven shelf

Hello, I need to replace existing chipboard shelf in a tall oven unit. The shelf has been carrying Microwave/Combination satisfactorily but is flexed badly and it seems an ideal opportunity to replace as I'm changing the oven anyway. The new oven weighs about 33kg and sits as previous one did immediately over conventional oven.

The current board thickness is 15mm but this could go to 16/17mm without causing problems. The board is well supported on either side and I had thought about 15mm contiboard but would welcome suggestions of something stronger. Temperature in theory needs to be up to 90C although I don't think the existing ovens have ever got the board near to that. Edge finish is not vital although at the moment it's finished with white edge strip.

Suggestions please

Reply to
Colin

If the existing 15mm chipboard is not up to the job then 15mm contiboard ( chipboard) won't be either, not unless you can stiffen it with a batten say 2" by 1" mounted edge on.. Next size up for chipboard/mdf is: 18mm.

Have a look at this:

mark

Reply to
mark

Agreed. 33 kg seems remarkably heavy for a domestic(?) microwave/combi oven. Where does that bear on the shelf?

As a replacement I'd look at 15 mm block board or ply, next thickness up is 18 mm.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and a metal reinforcement across the middle.

Reply to
charles

18 mm craftwood (MDF)
Reply to
F Murtz

18mm chipboard or mdf. If you can fix the shelf in position, (i.e.) not just sitting on shelf clips, all the better. Screw supports to both the shelf and the side of the carcase.
Reply to
fred

Thanks for suggestions and comments; I've checked weight and it's definitely correct (Bosch HBC84E663B). Sag estimator site very helpful and I will go for ply or blockboard fixed which will mean that 15mm is fine.

Reply to
Colin