Recent documents in Outlook

My brother has been in IT for about 30 years and he says we would never touch the registry.

Mind you, he also said he had never opened up a computer, which seems to me excessively risk-averse.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks for your assistance, after a confusing start on my part.

I made the I made the tweak suggested elsewhere and I shall see what happens next time I restart. I am wondering if I should be crawling through the settings in CCleaner to see if it is clearing the list.

Reply to
Scott

Maybe he should have told you never to run CCleaner and similar tools?

Reply to
Andy Burns

We have never discussed registry cleaning but I thought - maybe mistakenly - that CCleaner did not affect the registry.

Reply to
Scott

if you're nervous of the Registry I'd think you ought to be in meth-induced psychosis territory about CCLeaner.

includes

"Over time your registry can become cluttered with errors and broken settings which lead to crashes. CCleaner?s patented registry cleaner clears out this clutter to make your PC more stable."

NB I don't contest their claim. I do note in passing that a corpse cold on the floor is more stable than a person sitting in front of a screen :)

Reply to
Robin

Sorry, I'm on Office 2003, so perhaps they've removed the option. On my Options (under Tools), there are 11 tabs on the dialogue, one of which is 'General'.

Reply to
Dave W

But you don't have to use that particular option surely? The basic stuff involves getting rid of cookies, clearing cache, emptying the recycle bin etc all of which seems to me to be sensible over time (unless I am missing something).

Reply to
Scott

That's for 'Recent Documents' in the Start menu. Your original complaint was the disappearance of 'Recent Documents' in an Office program.

Reply to
Dave W

CCleaner has options as to what it deletes. There are Registry actions but that's on a Registry tab, not the normal 'Custom Clean' for temporary file removals.

I find it invaluable for getting rid of the huge internet cache that Firefox produces.

I've just tried running it with Office 2003 ticked, but when it finished, the four 'recent' files listed in Word 2003 were still there.

Reply to
Dave W

Not running CCleaner, can solve a number of problems :-)

Reply to
John Rumm