Recall of a limited number of MCBs

From the Trading Standards website:

number of MCBs are being recalled because of a "quality" issue. What I find interesting about these recalls is who makes product for who ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Should point out this is additional units, following on from the recall last year.

One day I'll remember to put everything in one post..

Reply to
Lee

It's 'Electrium', who now own Crabtree, Volex and Wylex, so it's likely they've rationalised production to one factory, 'Newlec' and 'Sector' are wholesalers who'll have had products contract manufactured, never heard of 'Steeple' or 'Alto' though.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Alto is WF Electrical's brand name.

Branding a product when you are not a major company (like Crabtree or Wylex) has always struck me as a bit odd because large contract buyers aside you can easily end up having to discount so deep that you make less profit than you would on the branded stuff. Too easy to cannibalise your more profitable lines. Likewise if you have to dispose such own-brand for any reason (liquidation, end of line, product change, regulation change) you can get sweet nothing for it.

Example was an RCD tester - in Megger colours =A3362, in Alto colours =A390-110. I am not sure they made much profit even at =A3110 - if any. Inside they were quite identical, just a different silk-screen inlay around the selector dials.

Schneider are bringing stuff slowly under the same single brand from their disparate brands over the next decade. Might be a good idea, wiring accessories from Legrand are distinctly better made and more consistent than MK. Getting fed up with MK fused units utterly unable to accept a fuse back far enough for the screw to bit despite shrink wrapped.

Still not as bad as the sand-less fuses or switch-only MCB (now that could be a shocker of a bang :-)

Reply to
js.b1
[Snip]

this is what can happen if goods get made in China. Firm A does all the design work and gets it built in China. The Chinese factory make more than firm A want and sell them with a different fascia as the products of Firm B. Since only manufacturing costs are involved Firm B's price is very much less than that of Firm A.

Reply to
charles

It's just a reminder.

And here is how to check the MCBs

ARWadsworth

website:

Steeple is Denmans Electrical Wholesalers own brand, i.e. like Newlec.

Reply to
tinnews

Surely firm A would retain the copyright? Unless they simply go to the Chinese maker for the whole design and have them put their name on it - which is more likely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they would have - but try proving it in a Chinese court - if they even believe in copyright.

I certainly know cases where this is not true.

Reply to
charles

Easier to sue the seller in the country it's being sold in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What if they are twice the thickness that they are meant to be, or how about half the thickness? Or of an alloy that sends sparks off it when it breaks? Loads of things can go wrong with fuses, as well as MCBs.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Not only that, there are counterfeit fuses about that lack the sand filling for arc suppression. Hence their breaking capacity is drastically reduced. A fuse that can't actually interrupt current flow is quite undesirable for lots of reasons!

Reply to
John Rumm