Rebuilding like for like (nearly) - Planning Permission required?

Hello all.

First off, the property is in a conservation area.

We have a SW facing single storey conservatory about 25 sq.m., brick/wood/glass construction with polycarb flat roofing. It was here when we bought the place 30 years ago and is a lovely sun trap on those rare afternoons/ evenings.

Unfortunately it is now somewhat aged and in need of extensive repair to doors/window frames etc.

We're considering having the conservatory demolished and rebuilding at the same size but with a load bearing roof. Put a doorway in upstairs and fit handrails around the roof to create a patio type area at 1st storey level.

This would not overlook neighbouring properties. Having a load bearing roof would increase the amount of brickwork considerably. Also the layout of doors and windows would need to be changed.

Any ideas if this would require planning permission.

I've spoken with local council who are incredibly unhelpful. Basically they've told me to put in a full application and they will tell me if it needs permission.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Yep, unfortunately so. Last year I arranged to have this:

replaced like-for-like as it was falling down and deterioration was overtaking repairs. Based on my reading of the planning regulations and - annoyingly - the planning training I had been given by the city council's planning department, I concluded that it was permitted development as a "repair/replacement of existing structure" and went ahead with it.

Got a letter last week from the city council saying I was in breach of planning and must submit a full application.

I'm not in a conservation area, and the structure is hidden from public view. As you're in a conservation area you'll have tighter requirements than me, so highly likely to require a full application.

Also, you're replacing an existing structure with /more/ than the existing structure, you're adding load-bearing roof patio with upstairs access, handrail, etc. The officer you've spoken to is an idiot, you don't put in an application to find if it /needs/ permission, you put in an application to find if you will be /granted/ permission. He should be able to tell you if it needs permission, and consequently needs an application submitted /before/ you go to the trouble of drawing up and submitting an application.

Contact one of your local councillors for a chat and ask if they can pass you on to one of their collegues who knows planning, but - important - is /not/ a member of the planning board that would consider it if submitted, and see if you can get a /named/ officer who knows what they're talking about to have a pre-application chat with.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

not enough information

the rules are different depending upon whether it is 5* 5, 2.5 * 10 or 10 *

2.5.

then whether you are a detached or attached property

and as you are in a conservation area, whether it is at the side or the back is also important

Extensions under permitted delelopment rights must have:

"No verandas, balconies or raised platforms" so I guess that's a no (BICBW).

and must use "Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house"

tim

Reply to
tim....

Full planning applications generate more income for the council, so this is probably their default position. Unfelpful or not.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

You will need full building regs as well.

(Sorry.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Perhaps if you just replace it section by section, not adding the rails, you wont need PP, it'll be repair work.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Ask the planning office....ohh...

Well do it then.

Its no big deal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

doesnt matter if its all legal

You cant really hide building work.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In order to determine if your plans need permission the planners need to see, in detail, what you wish to do. This is not a case of them being unhelpful but there is no way they can give a definitive answer either way without seeing the detail. Just talking to them on the phone is not suuificent. With most planning authorities you can arrange a meeting with the planners before you make an application to discuss what you want to do. Whilst they wont be able to give you a definitive answer it should enable you to find out if what you want to do is a complete non starter or not. From what you say you will need planning permission and building regulations approval.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That is not my experience. I've usually found the planning department helpful. I would always encourage people to have a quiet word with them before getting too attached to any ideas.

Of course, the OP seems to have run into a unhelpful so-and-so. They're bound to be some.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

That is not my experience. I've usually found the planning department helpful. I would always encourage people to have a quiet word with them before getting too attached to any ideas.

Of course, the OP seems to have run into a unhelpful so-and-so. They're bound to be some. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have always found them helpful it approached in the right way. It is certainly no good expecting to get a useful answer without going and meeting with them. A phone call is simply not sufficient in most cases.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

"There're" Aaargh!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

"The're" actually, I think.

But I wouldn't say nowt but "there are.."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher