Zinc pest

what kind of things have you had suffer from zinc pest ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Die cast zinc toys made in the first half of the last century, when the significance of contamination of zinc by traces of lead wasn't realised. From

Chris Hogg

Does that mean old dinky toys? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Roof soaker and step flashing.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Probably not, as the causes were discovered as early as 1929 (lead impurities in the zinc), made worse by damp storage conditions. Wiki says items made after 1960 are not considered likely to develop the condition.

Chris Hogg

I had some matchbox toys from the 50s which looked like they were di cast. Not got them now though. I well remember a dinky toy of a VW camper van having one of itswindow struts break off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Zinc pest is this the same as Mazak rot which seemed to plague die cast model train chassis' .

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes, caused by lead contamination in the casting alloy, as opposed to tin pest, which has become a problem since widespread adoption of lead-free solder can cause "whiskers".

Reply to
Rob Morley

Zinc things?

Reply to
Jim K..

Why would zinc pest attack shit? (and my name's not Sherlock)

Reply to
Jim K..

Tee hee funny?

Reply to