Re: Where can I get real vinyl 'cement', as in glue that actually dissolves the plastic slightly?

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote

I want to bond flexible PVC/vinyl sheeting to itself and I'm having >trouble identifying which of many products I can find actually do this >properly by 'welding' the PVC. I.e. I want a glue that actually >dissolves the plastic slightly so that the two pieces merge into one >piece.

Would it be the same glue as used for plastic model kits? If so, search Ebay for "airfix model glue"

Reply to
Alan

Solvent weld for PVC drainpipes. Comes in a big tin for not much money - compared to most tubes of such stuff. You'll have to ask for it in a shed

- obviously a 'sniffer' favourite. Or go to a proper PM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no it is NOT the same. That is styrene, the OP wants polyvinylchloride

Thiod is readily available at any builders merchants as the stuff used to bond PVC plumbing and guttering. Its essentialy PVC dissolved in (probably) xylene or similar.

You can also make it using cellulose thinners and bits of chopped up PVC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Something containing Methyl ethyl ketone might work, Methylene chloride is a solvent that will work.

Reply to
F Murtz

Will it work as well on flexible PVC?

I have some already so I'll try! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

Assuming it 'welds' that variety, I don't see why not.

Best way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What he said. I've used it to fix all manner of PVC objects. Also available in smaller tubes which may be better for occasional use.

't see any tubes there and half a litre is a lot. OTOH a 50ml tube from my local plumbers merchant costs the same price.

Reply to
Steve Firth