Re-using cable

I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

Reply to
R D S

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 22:10 R D S wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If the job is permanant, don't be cheap ;->

Cable is not *that* expensive.

OTOH, a temporary wiring job is another matter.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What's the length of the lease on the shop? :)

Reply to
GB

You would be assuming it was good to start with, was installed without any damage, wasn't damaged in use, and most questionable of all, wasn't damaged during removal.

So unless you were in control of all those processes and can vouch for it, I would say it's probably not a good idea. I have done it only very occasionally, and AFAICR, only used it to strip short lengths of singles from.

I've seen electricians take away long lengths of thick SWA to reuse, but T&E isn't anywhere near as expensive.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Only if you have to, and are sure its in decent condition. Its also slower and harder to work with stuff you can just pull off a reel.

Take great care doing insulation resistance tests at the end as well to make sure its working to spec. (it will only take one failure to make the cost saving redundant).

You would do better buying new and weighing in the old stuff at a scrappie IMHO

Reply to
John Rumm

Old or new colours...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I preferentially use whatever it's already wired up with, but would never use old colours in an installation which didn't already use them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And you will have to make sure the electricity runs in the same direction as before. Baz

Reply to
Baz

I had a bad experience a couple of years ago, when an 80ft length of

2.5 T & E went leaky after 20 years of usage. The cable registered 2M Ohm between conductors open circuit and this was enough to blow fuses inexplicably. I guess it was breaking down if there was a mains transient with a high enough voltage. So, I wouldn't reuse cable.
Reply to
Capitol

I know the the OP is talking about no more than 10 metre runs and that the cable will not be plastered over. So in this case I would say reuse the old stuff, if he needs to replace the old cable because there is a problem then is easy to do so.

This is a one off case of suggesting the reuse of T&E. It is not often I would suggest resusing it.

I guess that the 80m of SWA in the unit that we reuse - if laid from end to end every time we use it - is now long enough to reach France

Reply to
ARW

If you've got a megger & it passes, no problem. Of course that doesnt guarantee no problems in future, nothing does. Running old cable through the dishwasher removes dirt that can cause insulation fails.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Does the T&E outer coating go brittle if exposed to light for a substantial period?

Reply to
bert

IME this issue is much overstated. Even cable left in full sunlight for 30yrs is usually fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Sunday 02 February 2014 13:34 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

But not always.

I can point to a bit of similar age that was manky as hell after being suspended between trees in the full sun.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this for real or are you pissed?

Reply to
ARW

It really does depend on the actual cable I find (as in brand etc rather than size). I have seen some that has lasted for decades tied to a suspension wire in full sun, and yet have also noted some PVC clad cable that was crazed all over with fine splits visible after less than 5 years.

Reply to
John Rumm

I run lots of electrical stuff thru a dishwasher. Water washing is standard practice in the electronics industry now.

Note to any lurking wallies that might be out there: not everything is suitable, closed containers must be opened afterwards, and enough time given for ever trace of water in every crevice to disappear.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This isn't a new thing. Waay back Tektronix were washing their scopes returned for service, but they did have a very good drying system seeing that EHT generation was in use for scope tubes;!.,..

Reply to
tony sayer

True, nut not my primary concern in this case...

Cables are supposed to be sealed - nothing you put on the outside of the outer insulation should reduce the insulation resistance measured between the enclosed conductors. If it does, then it suggests that the outer sheath is physically damaged somewhere.

You also need to take care with the detergent used - some dishwasher detergents are pretty aggressive chemically, and some are also abrasive.

Reply to
John Rumm

Cable insulation can fail because: a) surface dirt running between conductors at a cut end b) puncture that can let in water c) pvc deterioration

a) is usually solved by dishwashing b) is revealed by dishwashing, it will cause it to fail testing c) is rare, dishwashing makes no difference.

Clean cable is far nicer to work with & looks decent.

I use any & every brand, and have never had plastic damage from any.

NT

Reply to
meow2222