Re-sticking separated ply

I've got a back gate made from plywood. I'm guessing its waterproof as its been there for about 12 years (we've been here 1) and its all fine except for the bottom corner which has peeled away. The bottom edge has a number of screws across the bottom but a small corner has still peeled away even though its about 3-5mm clear of the ground. Rest of the gate is fine (including top edge which would get wet in rain). Is there anything I can do to stick this edge back on? I'm guessing some glue and re-screwing the problem bit (and clamping whilst it sets) but I'm unsure what glue to use.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

This has probably happened because the gate was made and hung before it was treated with preservative, so the bottom edge has been missed because it's to close to the ground. Best to take the gate off its hinges and get just ordinary PVA weather proof wood glue and pump it in between the all the layers of the plywood. Squeeze it together with lumps of 4 X 2 timber and clamps, if you can, or lay big heavy weights on it. Wipe all the excess glue off with a damp rag. Leave the gate flat and weighted down, or clamped, for at the full 24 hours before you treat the whole thing with a couple of coats of Creosote or the like. Then re-hang it and it should last you for another good few years.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the advice - the whole gate is painted black - probably from the start I think - so once I've fixed it, I'll give it a good paint especially across the bottom. It's only the front layer that has peeled, the others are fine, so I guess re-sticking it should be quite easy.

Thanks again

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Creosote?!?! Better off with a good wood preservative. I didn't think anyone used creosote these days.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch