Re: OT - Intel forcing Win 10 onto users

The next generation of Intel processors 'Skylake' will only support

> Windows 10. There's no mention of Linux support in the article above.

What you mean is that MS will only release Win10 drivers for the Skylake- based chipsets, not for Win8 etc.

Reply to
Adrian

Look its Jonno. He doesn't do English Comprehension.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Extremely low bar.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But they (M$) /don't/ write the drivers. The hardware (cpu, chipset) makers supply a set of basic drivers to M$ which are WHQL tested then added to the hardware device information repository so that Windows can install the correct drivers during installation. They tend to be very vanilla with no bells or whistles, just enough to get the hardware recognised and initialised.

So, as far as I can see, the problem is Intel is refusing to produce Skylake (and supporting chipset) drivers for OSes pre-dating Windows 10. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there has been a cosy little shack-up between Intel and M$ to deliberately not support older OSes so that M$ benefits from a larger Win10 install base. God knows they're pushing it hard enough.

And to those running Windows 10: You are an idiot. That is all.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I think they are saying it will be ok that way round Tim. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not only that. Some other forcing going on....

A very popular Intel chipset on a few capable (and still solid) laptops was the 'Sandy Bridge' family.

My Core i5 Lenovo Thinkpad X201 has that, and there are many Dell and HP Machines happily running Windows 7 that also have this chipset - and use the integrated Intel HD2000/3000 graphics.

Intel has dropped Windows 10 support for the graphics :(

There is an in-box Windows 10 driver offered from Intel/Microsoft but it's old, buggy, and not going to be fixed. Intel have even wiped mention of it from their website. Lenovo support, no updates.

This affects popular desktops too. Many businesses rely on HP Pro 6300 desktops and older. I have personally deployed a few these less than 2 years ago with Windows 7, and they have the same chipset. I think we'll be investigating add-in graphics cards for those when (if) they get the corporate Windows 10 push.

In theory, Sandy Bridge machines should not have Windows 10 pushed upon them. In practice probably, because Microsoft habitually ship broken drivers (even signed WHQL), they will be pushing this OS.

Once upon a time Intel weren't in the graphics 'card' industry. And if ye did have an onboard Intel UMA graphics 'solution' ye did your best to swap onto a more sane Matrox, Nvidea or ATI graphics card.

Now, just like the coke dealer handing out 'freebies', they have us. Some otherwise really nice laptops will need to be replaced.

What on earth is so special in the Windows 10 graphics that requires Intel to do this? Intel and Microsoft have put the death knell into millions of bits of perfectly usable kit. It's nasty.

Drives me further to Linux... but I have to support Windows for work reasons. Yuk.

Nah, that's mild. Don't hold back. Say what ye really feel.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

MSFT formed an alliance with 13 PC vendors way back in 1983, effectively creating a cartel which is informally referred to as "Wintel" on account of Intel being the major source of the chips used by the PC hardware vendors.

This isn't the first time that the Wintel cartel have 'tried it on' with their customers. Back in around 1999, I discovered a sound related issue in the Quake2 and Unreal games after upgrading my P2/350 to a P3/450 on my win95osr2 system.

After some enquiry with my trade supplier over this issue with a newer intel processor that was claimed to be completely backwards compatible with the earlier P2 in Intel's own literature, I was eventually told that the *only* solution was to upgrade to win98!

Needless to say, I ignored this s**te advice (who in their right mind would want to "upgrade" to a badly broken version of win95osr2?) and I reverted back to the P2 processor (both had been successfully overclocked by +33% to 467 and 600 MHz respectively - the problem had remained unchanged even at stock speed). Even with other s/w that was free of issues, the perceived speed boost seemed far less than the additional

28.5% offered by the change from a 3.5 to a 4.5 clock multiplier.

As it happened, the reversion back to the P2 processor proved to be a very wise move, this 467MHz clocked P2 outperformed later 1GHz clocked P3 systems by 60% on, unexpectedly, the Prime95 benchmark! It also, as a gaming machine, ran rings around much later machines, including P4 cursed systems 3 and 4 years younger - so much for "progress" eh? Especially "progress" of the Wintel kind.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

And I'm guessing you might also think that of any other political, religious or other group of people who don't happen to share the exact same views and opinions as you, they are all *fools*?

And when you say 'privately' you mean you wouldn't actually call them that to their faces? ;-)

Cheers, T i m (still using XP after 13 years because it still does more for me than any Linux or OSX could and so I would actually be 'a fool'' to stop using it!)

Reply to
T i m

I run Linux (xubuntu) on two of those (X201s) and they are excellent little machines.

Reply to
cl

+1
Reply to
Huge

Look, I'm running X201's here, and, quite honestly can't see much difference in the performance of the graphics between Mint, W7 and W10.

In fact, I'm moving away from running Turnpike on a virtual 32-bit XP on this X201 partly because I've been unhappy with the graphics and have decided it's easier to move to a new 32-bit W7 on a Lenovo T410 for email and news.

What is worrying is the Windows Update situation with my new W7 SP1 install. Yesterday it sat for 3 hours "Checking for updates", and it has now been checking for 4 hours today. I have, of course, got it set to check but not download or install the updates.

Is there anything that runs on Linux that replicates Turnpike? I'm not totally happy with Pan, and I really want a good integrated mail and news program.

Reply to
Bill

That seems to be quite common these days, for W7 (from my experience) and for the first time you activate after not doing so for a while (I did just that yesterday).

Also be careful you don't have automatic updates set and the update notification hidden (in the popup box thing). Basically it will be saying 'why are you trying for updates when I'm already telling you there are some downloaded and/or waiting'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Try windows 10 on a X201, attach an external monitor as primary then close the lid. Seems no way to avoid the laptop going to sleep, even if ye configure the "what happens when I close the lid" settings in the UI.

There are many newsreaders, but you could try installing Turnpike in Wine.

Running windows software like this might seem a bit of a cop-out, but again there are current software vendors that package their apps with Wine - like Teamviewer for instance.

I came across an elderly couple that had got addicted to some Bridge card game application given away free with the Sunday Times. In upgrading their PC from XP to Mint, I couldn't find a good alternative, free and simple bridge application to replace it, but a little perseverance and their application flawlessly in Wine!

Result :-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Well I use a non-GUI newsreader - tin. It's not actually totally non-GUI as, although it runs in a text/terminal window it is mouse aware so you can click on items in the index to open them and on space below to move to the next item.

It is still actively supported/developed and messages to the mailing list are usually quite promptly answered although it is very low traffic nowadays.

Reply to
cl

In message , T i m writes

The update list has just appeared. It took 4 1/2 hours this morning, plus last night's 3 hours.

Just 172 to install. I'm thinking batches of 10 to 20 should give me time to check what each one does before installation.

Reply to
Bill

When you do then please let me know:) Till then running TP 5.02 on 32 bit WIN 7 and its staying that way till something better comes along!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , Adrian Caspersz writes

I might try that, but I suspect I might see the same issues as I've seen with the virtual machine.

The Turnpike version that I like is partly integrated with the 32-bit Windows Explorer, so that would have to be running as well, and there are all the complications (well to me they are!) where the email or news posting invokes another application to display, play or print.

When running in the virtual machine, I've had chaos where sometimes a web page has appeared in the virtual machine browser and other times in the main browser. Plus questions like printer drivers etc. I'm sure I could have sorted these out in my virtual machine installation, but for now it just seemed quicker and simpler to dig out another machine.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

I'm pretty sure Turnpike V6 won't run in Wine anyway (cos of the Explorer stuff)

Reply to
Chris French

En el artículo , tony sayer escribió:

Thunderbird isn't bad for email, but I'm sticking with Turnpike (5.02) for news.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well source is there, so why not convert it to Linux?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher