Re. 'kin ell it's hot

On the subject of these hot days. We have got a couple of ceiling fans and a portable fan. Do they actually cool the whole room down, or just the bit in the air flow? The reason I am asking is, when the fans are on, would it be better to keep the windows shut, do they let more hot air in, or open the windows in the hope of catching a breeze.

Yes, we have noticed more butterflies than usual this year, and anyone interested in weather statistics, look at uk.sci.weather, pick up some good info there. Cheers Angela

Reply to
Angela

If the windows are shut, they will slowly warm the room up (even higher!) according to their motor rating in Watts although, to start with, if you sit in front of them, the forced air will make you feel cooler. You cannot escape the fact that power is being converted from electrical energy into (mainly) heat.

If you are in the room for a short time, of course, you may find the fan beneficial.

If the windows are open, it's a different matter, depending on the relative temperature inside and out and whether the fan stimulates circulation between the two.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Fans do not cool a room down. What they DO do is increase the rate of airflow across damp perspiring objects thus increasing the rate of evaporation and hence a lowering of the temperature of that object.

Simply putting a high speed fan into a sealed room will increase the rooms temperature due to the inefficiencies of the fan motor.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Have a spray bottle of iced water and a fan .

Preferably naked,spray water towards fan and wait for it to return across your body very refreshing and as it evapourates you cool down.

Do it gradually to prevent shock,actually this bit is added to stop the "I know better brigade " butting in as they do

Reply to
Alex

Thanks a lot for your replies, never thought about the heat from the fan motor, love the one about the water spray. Will try it on hubby when he gets home LOL

Angela

Reply to
Angela

In the really hot (tropical) countries I have been to, if air con is not fitted the norm is ceiling fan(s) plus at the very least an unglazed opening at the top of the room, quite possibly two at opposite ends to get a cross-flow of air. They may glass the lower level windows to keep out mozzies, or fit fine mesh screens instead. They never totally seal rooms unless air con is fitted. I have seen these arrangements in many places. I think the people who live with this heat or worse all the time probably know best.

W,

Reply to
Woodspoiler