Re: Kickspace fan convector

And it warms your feet.

Oh yes. I have to drag my wife out of there all the time now. She stands right in front of the vent with a smile on her face.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle
[10 lines snipped]

There's a radiator in our kitchen. It's never been switched on in 11 years here. There was a radiator in our previous kitchen, too. That went 8 years without being switched on. Why on earth do people want heating in kitchens?

Reply to
Huge

Basically, I don't like being cold when I'm in the house. I don't suddenly like being in the frozen antartic wastes just because I feel like starting dinner, or doing the washing.

It does seem pretty normal for UK kitchens to have a complete lack, or, at least, completely undersized provision. Perhaps it comes from a time when everyone had a fire or range in there, or at least a 50% efficient dinosaur boiler.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I want heating in my kitchen because without it, the kitchen gets cold very quickly through the window being open for ventilation (and condensation prevention) most of the time. My kitchen has a doorway into both the hall AND the livingroom, and the hall is by far the coldest room in the house, and yet the one with the thermostat in. If I didn't heat the kitchen then I have cold drafts from the difference in temperatures, and unlike my forays into the hall (which are brief) I spend a fair bit longer in the kitchen.

I don't cook all day every day, so there's not enough heat provided from oven and hob. The boiler isn't located in the kitchen, so there's no heat provided from that.

Ergo, I need the radiator in the kitchen to be on.

Just because YOU haven't deemed it necessary to have heating in your kitchen (perhaps you have a boiler in there?) in your last two houses doesn't mean everyone else's kitchen environment makes heating from a radiator unnecessary.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

I had to turn the UF heating off in the kitchen completely. The aga is more than enough...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Velvet wrote

Same here! In my case it's mostly down to convection currents up and down the stairs. Have you tried keeping all the upstairs doors closed? It makes a helluva difference. Getting teenagers to shut them is the problem though, and now very time I moan about finding them open I'm told I'm becoming a bl**dy paranoid anorak about the things! I'm thinking of fitting heavy duty door closers, or maybe even automatic sliding doors.

Well said.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Well, me neither. But it's never cold in our kitchen. And the boiler isn't in there.

Reply to
Huge

Well it was in mine. Perhaps your kitchen gets heated from surrounding rooms, or has decent insulation. My kitchen has solid brick walls festooned with single glazed windows and doors on two exterior walls. The other long wall is connected to a simiarly cold party wall to the kitchen and outside lavatory next door. The only connection with the rest of my house is a short

2m long connection with the back room, which warms up very quickly, being snuggled up between two warm party walls. It isn't practical to insulate.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Have to drag the cat away from mine. At the moment I don't have the decorative panel on the heater and the mog sleeps with his feet almost touching the blower blades - well they're his toes!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I don't understand it either. The radiator in our kitchen is set to the same TRV setting as many others in the house but it hardly ever comes on. All the various appliances in there plus the heat from the boiler itself do a grand job of keeping the kitchen warm enough on their own, it's not really a room we need to heat!

Reply to
R W

In my case, the only items on consistently are the fridge freezer and the clock on the microwave. Coupled with this, it is the leakiest room in the house when it comes to u values.

Without the heating on, it does improve when the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher are all on simultaneously, but only for an hour or two. When they're off, it used to be the coldest room in the house by a long shot. During the cold weather recently, it was typically 12C, when the back room was 21C.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you have a lot of cupboards on outside walls filed with food packets, then this adds insulation. This may be the case.

Reply to
IMM

Another benefit of Special K over Weetabix

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes. More bran and thicker insulation. So healthy peopel help the environemnt in amany ways. Fat bran-less slobs do not.

Reply to
IMM

I don't know how much bran is in Special K but when I last read the labels it has more exactly the same calories as ordinary Corn Flakes. You lose weight because of the black coffee and skimmed milk that go with your weight reducing Special K breakfast, not the cereal itself. Another triumph of marketing.

Reply to
Tony Bryer