Re: How long before laying floor tiles should I put PVA down and how much?

I have waited more than 2 weeks since the screed was layed in my

>conservatory and have decided to start tiling (one week earlier than >advised). > >To be honest, the top surface of the screed is already wearing off, so >I am doing more damage leaving it un-tiled. > >So, today, I diluted some PVA (Approx 5-1) and brushed it onto the >floor. > >To my surprise, the floor was like a sponge and sucked all the >water/PVA in. > >There were a few spots where the PVA sat on the surface and slowly >soaked in, but the majority of the floor just 'ate' the PVA. > >I have therefore decided to brush another coat in before I tile, but I >have 2 options: > >1. Do it tonight, so that its completely dried by the morning and then >start tiling. > >2. Do it first thing, leave it an hour or so and tile whilst the floor >is still damp? > >Also, how much should I be putting down?.. Because of the absorbency >of the floor, I used 3 or 4 buckets full, for a 10m2 area.. I am >hoping that as the first coat has gone down, the 2nd might not soak in >as much.. Should I be brushing it on lightly, or lashing it down??

I waited three weeks, as recommended, and then had a similar experience with the PVA. The first coat certainly soaked in heavily and I applied a second which soaked in more slowly.

I would do it tonight, but I don't think that you need to be concerned as long as the surface is sound. If you run a vacuum cleaner over it, you should find that realtively little dust is released.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall