How long before one fires one's estate agent and gets another?

My house isn't selling, and I am just not getting enough viewers through the door. Time to think about getting a different agent, I reckon.

What do you think?

The house has been on the maket since the end of March and reduced twice (I think the starting price was too high a valuation).

How many viewings does it take on average before a buyer is found and how can I judge that I'm not jumping out of the frying pan into the fire by moving to a different agent?

Is the market (South-East) as buoyant as many agents keep telling me? Or are they all engaged in wishful thinking?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Check the contract you have with the current agent to see how long they have exclusive rights to market your property.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Look at the TV programmes and have your house done the way they suggest. It works, they are right. De-clutter, neutral colours,get the garden tidy, no junk anywhere. Make it desirable to a buyer. Your personal paste does not matter.

How many have viewed? Any feedback from the?

Reply to
IMM

They didn't tie me to a fixed period. They explicitly made it a condition only that I give them two weeks notice in writing at any time should I decide to dispense with their services. Therefore, I can walk away at any time, plus two weeks!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Oh, I've done all that. Everyone says the house is very nice - and it is. My bro said it looked like brand-new, and he isn't one to say so because he's my bro!

Six.

Some. Responses range from too expensive (so why bother to view?), too built up (it's an estate, what do you expect?), ex-LA (they knew that before they came to view), not what they were looking for - fair enough. I think most of the people so far were just time wasters, though I'm beginning to suspect that the agent isn't targeting the right market.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Difficult one. The agent could be at fault. Nevertheless you have a few negatives there: ex LA, estate. Some agents want people through doors as they may just go for your house. Worth a look they say. You want people through the door who are not put off by the so-called negative points, then they can view the house objectively.

The problem is that if the agent initially speaks in a negative way about a house few will view it, so having someone who is only 40% likely to buy before they view may be a good thing as the house inside may win them over. Or it may just be simply overpriced.

Reply to
IMM

I disagree. Any bodily fluids or excretions should be removed before viewings.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes its a must, I would never buy anywhere with dried man batter.

Joking aside, if you are not happy with your agent then get another. We only had problems after we sold our house, they are an intermediary between you and your buyers and its a PITA if they don`t do that job well.

Reply to
John Woodhall

What kinds of problems? I'm a newbie! Shock me!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well *that* put me off my lunch!

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

Deep-fried cod, was it?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

"Mike Mitchell" wrote | My house isn't selling, and I am just not getting enough viewers | through the door. Time to think about getting a different agent, | I reckon. | What do you think?

Unless the agent is really lazy or incompetent, there isn't usually much to choose between them. (I worked in an estate agency once.)

What you could do is get a relative/friend/colleage to masquerade as a potential buyer and go in and see how the agent treats them and whether your property is actively marketed, the agent might be trying to sell another property harder because he knows he'll get a mortgage from the other vendor's purchase, or because selling another property means that vendor can buy another property which the agent is also trying to sell.

You should also find out from the agency how many schedules they've given out and what the reasons were for not viewing. If people are saying "It looks like a busy road" then get another photo taken without cars in front of the house.

The other thing is your property may simply be out of character or location for that agency. No point is using an agency the other side of town because your brother's dating the typist, or because you thought their schedules were particularly tastefully presented in parchment folders with tassels; if the bulk of the agency's business is Lux Exec Det in Upper Scrummingham they won't have many clients looking for Ex LA Ideal 1st Time Buy in Sewage Farm Meadows. Consider all the other houses which have sold in your street recently - which agencies' boards were outside and are you using an agency that is popular with people looking for your type of property in your area.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Have you talked to the agent about the issues you've raised? If you think they're targetting the wrong sort of people then have you mentioned this to them?

Do you have other similar houses nearby sold recently? Who were they with? How much did they go for? Could you ask other estate agents for a valuation with a view to moving agent?

If your house is suitable for first time buyers it might be that it is too expensive for them - and if its too nicely done up for developers then they won't want it either (And it'll also be too expensive for buy-to-letters).

If your house looks brand new - then maybe you've over-doctored it?

Bear in mind its not numbers of viewers thats important - its the right sort - ones who can afford it and are looking for a house with the things yours has.

You could also trawl some of the local agents shops and look at propertys - and how they treat you when you go in.

You could also try some online house selling sites.

Reply to
mogga

People will only buy your house if they know it's for sale. Self evident of course but therein lies the test of the skill and energy (or otherwise) of your estate agent. Is your property being advertised? If so , where?

Is it regulary seen in the local papers, is it well sited in the showroom, is it on the Internet. If yes to all these, then are the photographs doing the property justice and is the prose all that's required or is it wanting? (I'm aware of the PMA but the agent is still allowed to be enthusiastic)!

When people come to see the property, are they being made to feel welcome (big smiles from the vendors) and are you trying to establish a relationship, no matter how transient, or are they just being allowed to breeze through and out again.

Your agent should be doing his best for you because if he doesn't sell your house, he problably won't get paid. If you think he (she) is lacking in any of the above, talk to them. Not in a 'get your finger out of your arse' kind of way but more as two adults who are trying to achieve the same end.

If this doesn't work or you feel your agent really can't cut the mustard then look before you leap into another's arms. The next agent could be just the same (good or bad) or maybe your house is just going to take a bit longer to sell than most. But it will sell eventually - don't worry.

By the way, I'll bet he valued it higher than anyone else when you had them all round for the free valuation (didn't he)?

This might sound trite but you don't find out how good your agent really is until you've got your buyer. That's when he (she) could be worth their weight in gold to you. The actual offer is often a matter of luck, the negotiations and hand holding are a matter of skill! Form a relationship with him (her) (not necessarily sexual) and talk to them often!

Regards

Patrick

Reply to
Meoww

No, I disagree. I have had amazingly good approaches from an agent in Lincs, who regularly calls to see how I'm progressing. Many other agents up there also know of my desire to sell quickly and move to Lincs, but none has bothered to call. I have to keep reminding most of them to keep me on their databases. Not this one! They are right on the ball. Sure, I know they want to sell me one of their properties, but that's their job. I think their clients with something to sell must be getting a pretty good deal. Anyway, being part of the MoveWithUs chain they have now put me in touch with their agent locally to me, so I shall be making a decision over the next few days.

It is most definitely NOT a busy road! That was just an excuse. Kids play in the street all the time. It's as quiet as a churchyard here.

Here you could be much closer to the mark, I think. Naturally I have been observing which properties sell and which ones do not. The prospective new agent has a different mix of properties. We will see.

Yep, that's the kind of thing which led me to thinking you could be much closer to the mark! Sewage Farm Meadows is a bit strong, though!

There haven't been, at least, not recently. About 18 months ago, three sold within a week or two of going on the market.

I'll give it until next Monday so that the new lower price has been advertised for two weeks, and if there is no pickup in interest, I fire up the word processor!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Some. But when said agent is a very decent cove and appears to be as puzzled as I am, what can I say?

No, but I will. However, if they habitually attract unsuitable buyers for this type of property, then they will have to agree that they are probably not the right mix for me.

As I said in response to Owain, none nearby. However, a vaguely similar property was sold some weeks ago several streets away. It first fell through after having been sold in a matter of days. Then it took another couple of weeks to sell it again. Apparently the survey had uncovered something the first time. However, we are not really comparing like with like here, as the location is different, the parking is different, the noise is far greater (there) and there are other differences.

That's what I'm about to do. I have another agent coming on Friday.

My bro said it looked brand-new, but that's just because he's used to seeing it like a tip! However, it does now look very tidy, clean, uncluttered and light. It would make a perfect home for many a young couple to move into, say, from their starter flat. By the way, I had cards in newsagents windows around here as well for about four weeks and got precisely two (count 'em!) calls! These cards were not just scribbled out, but I bought some postcard stock from Staples (the sort with the microperfs) and did a proper job with my LaserJet. I have since renewed the cards after they ran out of time, but the revised ones (with the new price) have been in for a week and not a sausage. Several people have told me that they think the market is about to crash and that is why no one is buying. (It's not just my house that isn't moving; I know of at least six in the village with different agents that have been on sale for months.)

Yep. That elusive buyer is tucking right now into his Kentucky Fried Chicken megabucket and three gallons of Coke. Alternatively, it may be a young, upwardly mobile couple who are unwrapping their Waitrose sushi and sipping rice wine from John Lewis flutes. Me, I've just had Asda spare rib steaks with Tesco fried rice... in front of the telly! I believe there is a bottle of genuine German lager in the fridge.

Do you know of any? I did do a trawl on Google, but the trouble with Google is that you can sometimes be overwhelmed with hits.

By the way, thanks to all these responses from everyone! Most appreciated. When I've moved I'll throw a surprise party. Well, the new owners will be surprised anyway! Nah, only kidding. You've got to find some humour in the whole sorry saga somehow otherwise you can go mad with waiting.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Ah, now this is where I should say that I was unhappy with the accompanied viewings. So much so that I politely and firmly suggested that I would henceforth show buyers around on my own. Initially, I had "Lamplugh" nerves (could someone be bearing a grudge, and find a viewing the ideal way of gaining access?) But the agent's reps have since told me that I do "such a good job" at showing the prospects around, so I might as well do it. After all, no one knows the property like I do. Maybe I wibble on for too long in a few cases, but I'm as nice as pie, honest! And so far all of the viewers have been, too. The ones, that is, that didn't back out at the last minute, then not even bother to ring the agent.

Strike "probably". He won't.

Unfortunately, I do tend to get rather quickly to the "finger in arse" stage, although I am far too polite to actually say such rude things out loud. However, they can probably tell from my body language that I am, shall we say, a tad unhappy with the situation. They probably think to themselves, oh, he's already reached the "finger in arse" moment, but he's just too polite to say so.

Ah, but eventually may be too late. With the volatile oil situation, uncertainty about the Iraq and Israel/Palestine situations (and now Saudi Arabia), with the possible strike action by various groups on the horizon, and much more that is happening on an almost daily basis, these could combine to destabilise the market very suddenly. People are saying that the buy-to-let market is now stagnant. (I'm not in that market, but it could drive the snowball effect.)

Yes. Way over! (You're some kind of psychologist, aren't you?!!) Okay, punish me for wanting the most I can get for my property! I have now found out the hard way not to be too greedy. And I'm normally the one who admonishes everyone else that greed is bad. Okay, I'm a hypocrite. Pass me the flagellation kit, would you?

Actually, their young ladies are all rather temptingly attractive. But in this case, it's strictly business. The business of selling my house! And nothing else.

(Can't proof read - gotta watch the farm boy proggie on BBC2!)

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

People are very fickle, I am afraid, and easily say yes to something and then back out and are too embarassed to tell you.

Given the timescale, I think it is probably time to look elsewhere.

One sanity check that you could do when interviewing a new agent is to ask how many similar properties he has sold in the last six months and ask for copies of ads or details to check honesty.

Unfortunately, it is precisely this thought train that drives markets down - a self fulfilling prophecy of doom.

The Israel/Palestine situation has existed for thousands of years. The Middle East in general and oil producing nations have been a house of cards ever since oil was commercially exploited. Nothing significant has really changed in the overall scheme of things - only perceptions.

No!

If you take a medium to long term view of the property market, a few £k difference on the price now will be insignificant in a few years anyway.

Having the price on the high side may well have deterred buyers a bit, but you now have several weeks of selling experience, so should be good at it by now.

Anyway, greed is good. (Gordon Gecko said so).

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think that estate agents don't sell houses, they only advertise them for you. The selling part is up to you. If its not attracting viewers or has had views but no offer's, its simply overpriced for the condition and/or location. ANY house will sell at the right price. Could an estate agent sell you a house ? or would you trust your own judgement as to its market price, condition and desirability.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark